Proxmox v9.2 installer freezes

rmnrdi

New Member
Sep 30, 2026
1
0
1
I've been trying to install Proxmox v9.2 for 4 frustrating hours.

Here's my system specs:
MSI B550-A Pro
Ryzen 7 5800X
64GB DDR 3200 RAM
2 TB Samsung Pro NVME
1 TB Samsung 860 SATA SSD
RTX 3060 TI
RXT 3080

My BIOS is in AHCI NOT RAID and my BIOS recognizes both of my drives!

My goal was to install proxmox on the SATA drive, then use the NVME for VM's. It sounds so simple... I had Google Gemini to help even!

The first time I tried to install it using Graphical mode it froze. Then, the same with Terminal mode, then Graphical nomodeset, then Terminal nomodeset. It froze every time.

Gemini thought it was because I had 2 video cards to I removed the 3080. Same thing all over again. It froze every time.

At one point, Gemini told me to change the boot configuration with modprobe.blacklist=nova,nouveau,<can't remember>

ONE Time I got it to go past the freeze point only for it to not recognize the sata drive I wanted to install it on. It recognized the NVME, but not the SATA. BUT for the life of me I can't remember the other blacklist=?????? where it worked and I somehow lost where I got it from. It's not nova or nouveau because I tried those and it still froze.

Even if I could get it past the freeze point, it probably still won't recognize the drive I want to install it on.

I'm at my wits end.

I just don't understand how something as well known as proxmox can't make it through an install on hardware that's 4 years old!

Does anyone have advice?

I need help with getting the SATA drive recognized for install, but also how to get the thing to stop freezing.

Thanks!
 
Last edited: