Proxmox v5 extend pve-data

Klaus Schulte

Feb 15, 2017
Dear all,

I would like to know if these steps are the correct ones to extend pve-data size.

1) new primary partition created at new disk -> /dev/sdb1
2) pvreate /dev/sdb1
3) vgextend "pve" /dev/sdb1
4) lvresize -l (current LE + Free LE of new disk) /dev/mapper/pve-data
That's it - is this correct

The new size is displayed in summary report of local-lvm.
The new size is displayed when executing "lvdisplay /dev/mapper/pve-data"

I don't have to execute "resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-data" - because pve-date is LVM thin -> block device - Is this correct?

I don't have to create a filesystem on it - Is this correct?

Do I have something missed?

Best regards
Klaus

Hi Dominik,

thanks for your fast feedback.
Is there any relation between the added size and the to extended size if the metadatapool?
e.g. I have added 3TByte to pve-data - is it then sufficient to add 1Gbyte to the metadatapool?

Best regards
Klaus

Is there any relation between the added size and the to extended size if the metadatapool?
e.g. I have added 3TByte to pve-data - is it then sufficient to add 1Gbyte to the metadatapool?
this depends on how big the lv was when it was created

lvm calculates a chunk_size based on the lv size so that it can hold enough references for the whole pool but this dependency is linear
if your metadatapool was e.g. 100mb while your disk was 500G
when extending the pool by 3000g adding 600mb should be enough

edit: formatting

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!