Proxmox v 6.0.1 creates ISO too lage to burn to CD

Ramblin

Oct 24, 2018
I just downloaded the Proxmox v 6.0.1 ISO image and tried to burn it to a CD-R blank CD and it came back with "Image too large", saying I was trying to put 702mB onto a 700mB storage device.

I tried this with 2 separate ISO images downloaded and checked with SHA1

I tried this in Windows 7 using Nero 14 and using Windows burner

I tried this on LinuxMint using Brasero

I tried burning to a DVD but it said wrong storage medium

How the heck do I get the ISO onto anoptical medium from which I can boot and install Proxmox v 6.0.1?

My downloaded ISO shows 741 MB... I'm guessing you have a corrupted download.

How can I have a corrupted download when I checked with SHA1 (as stated above) and everything matched?

And, as stated above, I downloaded it twice (in case there was a corruption in the download) and got the same result.

My ISO size is not 702 MB; the size it is trying to put onto the CD was 702 MB.

Did you burn your ISO image to a CD or did you "burn" to a flash drive? If you tried burning your 741 MB image to a CD, did it work? I am being given error messages because the image is over 700 MB - too large to fit on a CD. And I get an error message when I try to burn to a DVD, saying it is the wrong media.

I used Rufus to USB flash. Rufus will prompt asking to burn in ISO or DD mode -- I had no success burning it in ISO mode, only DD mode would work to complete loading Proxmox into the installer. ISO mode made the PVE Installer fail to find the CD/DVD image that another secondary partition on the image.

I used Rufus to USB flash. Rufus will prompt asking to burn in ISO or DD mode -- I had no success burning it in ISO mode, only DD mode would work to complete loading Proxmox into the installer. ISO mode made the PVE Installer fail to find the CD/DVD image that another secondary partition on the image.

I was able to use Rufus to burn ISO mode to a flash drive.

But what I am trying to figure out is whether or not it is possible to create a bootable optical disc for Proxmox 6.01 using normal (ie Nero Burining ROM or Windows Burner) burning technologies.

I have a system where I store the optical disks, but flash drives tend to go missing, so if it is possible, I'd like to burn to an optical dic.

Anyone?

This has been discussed before ... at least I remember reading about it - unfortunately, I couldn't find the actual post just now....

Anyway: Yes, it's known and iso does not imply that it has to fit on a CD, just burn a DVD, use an USB thumb drive or just the great Zalman virtual ODD.

Have you tried burning the ISO to a DVD?

As I said above, I have tried to burn to a DVD and it tells me it is the wrong media.

If I am doing something wrong, please help me with specific guidance.

Have you tried burning the ISO to a DVD?

Not until now. I found a computer (my windows gaming rig) which has a dvd burner, installed a burn software, tried to find some empty optical media, inserted it, selected the iso and burned it without any problems to the DVD. Rebooted to check if it boots and it boots. No idea what's wrong with your setup or media.

Could the "wrong media" be in the physical media? Perhaps you are trying to burn the ISO to a DVD+R on a DVD-R drive?

Not until now. I found a computer (my windows gaming rig) which has a DVD burner, installed a burn software, tried to find some empty optical media, inserted it, selected the ISO and burned it without any problems to the DVD. Rebooted to check if it boots and it boots. No idea what's wrong with your setup or media.

Thank you

It is amazing how much harder you try to do something when you know it can be done.

I am using Nero Burning ROM and when I load the ProxmoxVE6.01 ISO, it automatically switches the setting to CD-RW (must be something in the ISO setup?) so when I go to burn onto a DVD, it says I have the wrong media.

When I manually set Nero to the correct Media type, it burns fine.

Thanks for sticking with this and helping.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!