proxmox time skew on amd seems solved with the 1.4 prod release

peril

Renowned Member
Oct 6, 2009
Newark, DE USA
Long ago - in a thread far away - I posted that AMD time skew was killing me - I didn't track it for a while, and dealt with it by rebooting windows vm's. But it's not been an issue - I did set the kernel parameter

kvm-amd nested=1

but I don't think that's was made it go away - I think it was the upgrade to 1.4 VE - anyone else noticing this?

--Adrian

I'm still having this issue on my windows machines when I reboot them, otherwise they are fine.

Andy

Andy,

Can you tell me your host setup? I've running aMd 64x2 @ 2.5 or 2.6 Ghz (it's a 5000+ setup I think). Can you try setting the amd nested =1 kernel module and see if it changes anything. I didn't notice that my windows machines weren't screwy until a couple of days ago - they have uptimes in weeks. (and hte clock was spot on.)

I was trying to figure out what was different from my initial setup - and all I can put my finger on is

1) The upgrade to 1.4
2) the following addition to the /etc/modules file

[snip]
kvm-amd nested=1

CAn you tell me the kernel version you are running - I'm running

peril@smokey:~$ ssh root@192.168.10.30 uname -a
Linux vhost01 2.6.24-8-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 16 11:17:55 CEST 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and hte cpu is

processor : 1
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 107
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2599.989
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
bogomips : 5199.97
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps

--Adrian

--Adrian

I'm running the same kernel that you are. My machines are Intel quad core procs though, not amd's. Each time I reboot the windows boxes they come up with a 5 hour skew, i.e. they come up on GMT instead of EST. Mine do this every time I reboot them.

Andy

I'm running the same kernel that you are. My machines are Intel quad core procs though, not amd's. Each time I reboot the windows boxes they come up with a 5 hour skew, i.e. they come up on GMT instead of EST. Mine do this every time I reboot them.

Please an you post your VM settings (/etc/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf)

name: WinWeb-MailSrv
ide2: local:iso/en_windows_server_2008_datacenter_enterprise_standard_without_h$
vlan0: e1000=EE:4F:B7:21:9A:85
bootdisk: ide0
ostype: w2k8
ide0: iscsi1:vm-905-disk-1
memory: 1024
sockets: 1
onboot: 0
cores: 1

And time and timezone on the host are correct?

And time and timezone on the host are correct?

Yes, the timezone is set to EST. The time is correct until I reboot the server and then it changes. I have a 2003 on this box that does the same thing. It's not a big deal since I know it, just have to check it.

Yes, the timezone is set to EST. The time is correct until I reboot the server and then it changes. I have a 2003 on this box that does the same thing. It's not a big deal since I know it, just have to check it.

Strange, because we start kvm with -localtime (it works corretly here).

What the output of:

# qm showcmd <vmid>

Does it inlcude the -localtime switch?

Yes it looks like it does to me.

prox1:~# qm showcmd 905
/usr/bin/kvm -monitor unix:/var/run/qemu-server/905.mon,server,nowait -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/905.vnc,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/905.pid -daemonize -usbdevice tablet -name WinWeb-MailSrv -smp sockets=1,cores=1 -vga cirrus -tdf -localtime -rtc-td-hack -k en-us -drive file=/dev/pveiscsi/vm-905-disk-1,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -drive file=/dev/cdrom,if=ide,index=2,media=cdrom -m 1024 -net tap,vlan=0,ifname=vmtab905i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/bridge-vlan -net nic,vlan=0,model=e1000,macaddr=EE:4F:B7:21:9A:85 -id 905 -cpuunits 1000

How to fix proxmox time skew

To fix time skew for Windows Guests:

- edit the conf file for your guest (located in /etc/qemu-server), labeled <guestid>.conf
- add the following line:
args: -rtc-td-hack

We run this on all Windows Guests.

That would be a nice feature, a way to add args via the web interface (although very low priority).

Last edited:
Re: How to fix proxmox time skew

To fix time skew for Windows Guests:

- edit the conf file for your guest (located in /etc/qemu-server), labeled <guestid>.conf
- add the following line:
args: -rtc-td-hack

We run this on all Windows Guests.

That would be a nice feature, a way to add args via the web interface (although very low priority).

this is not needed as its already in by default.

Not to contest the issue that it's already in there but adding the args mentioned seems to have fixed it for me. So far with a dozen or so reboots and it is holding the time for me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!