Proxmox Thin or Dynamic disk

PServer

Mar 14, 2020
Hello,

I want convert all of my server from vmware Esxi to proxmox (proxmox is very nice!)
But I have problem for disk mode.
All of my vm on esx is Thin mode because I use SSD and don't have big storage, but VM disk is 40-100 GB and in Thin mode I don't loss all of capacity of my SSD.
For transfer to Proxmox I have problem for my capacity of SSD.
After convert VMDK to qcow2 disk size is big (for example VM disk on Thin mode on ESX is 50GB but use 8GB and on ESX use 8GB of main SSD storage but after convert to qcow2 use 50GB of my main SSD storage)

I use this command for convert VMDK to qcow2:
Code:
qemu-img convert -f vmdk myvm-disk1.vmdk -O qcow2 myvm-disk1.qcow2

Do you have solution for this problem?
Proxmox don't have Thin mode?

Thanks alot,

Last edited:
proxmox use thin mode by default.
but maybe qemu-img convert don't do it. (depend of storage and formats).

are you sure that your qcow2 is using 50G ? (The file could be 50G in filesystemd, but could use 8G, aka sparse file).

you can verify with "du -sh yvm-disk1.qcow2"

ooh yes thanks alot Spirit
Now I check again my first disk is Thin mode and my vm on this SSD is Thin mode.
But second my storage is not Thin mode and all vm in this storage use full size.
I want remove second storage and add again in thin mode but I don't see option for remove second storage and add again.

Currently, there is a VM sitting on this volume, so you cannot remove it (without loosing the data). You should check that out at first.

After that, you have to go "down" on the CL(I) interface and do everything from there. I would also consider merging the two disks with striping in one volume group so that you will "see" only one storage with roughly 4 TB. Downside to this is: if one disk fails, everything is broken.

Reactions: PServer
Currently, there is a VM sitting on this volume, so you cannot remove it (without loosing the data). You should check that out at first.

After that, you have to go "down" on the CL(I) interface and do everything from there. I would also consider merging the two disks with striping in one volume group so that you will "see" only one storage with roughly 4 TB. Downside to this is: if one disk fails, everything is broken.

Thanks for your answer,
I don't have problem for remove this VM.
I can't have 2 x 2TB with Thin mode?
Do I need to merge both drives?
I can't remove second drive and add again in thin mode?

Thanks a lot,

Reactions: PServer
Sorry I very searched and check this link (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_LVM_Thin)
But I can't find correct solution for add lvm-thin storage to proxmox and only my default disk (disk1) is lvm-thin.
My second disk is LVM.

It is literally the first thing on the page. Just adapt it to your needs (volume group name).

Maybe you should start to learn more about LVM:
https://debian-administration.org/article/410/A_simple_introduction_to_working_with_LVM
https://www.tecmint.com/setup-thin-provisioning-volumes-in-lvm/

When we convert LVM to LVM-thin, I have some VM and CT on LVM... does converter delete all data on existing LVM?

When we convert LVM to LVM-thin, I have some VM and CT on LVM... does converter delete all data on existing LVM?
I have this same question. I have a VM stored on an LVM, but I need to create a snapshot of the VM. Is it possible for me to convert the LVM to LVM thin? Or do I have to create a new LVM thin on another disk, then relocate the VM's Hard Drive?

Hi bXunter and jkilbreth,

If you ever have doubts about whether or not a conversion process will delete or corrupt data, make a backup and or move the production data to a secondary storage temporarily....
In this case, I do believe that it will delete data on the local-lvm if you convert it to lvm thinpool.
Cheers,

Tmanok

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!