Proxmox SWAP space at initial system install

gcmartin

Sep 14, 2010
On this Proxmos webpage, there are a couple statements regarding swap=8.

This questions ask about its partition or filesystem structure.
  • Is the installation step carving an 8GB partition for SWAP use or is it embedding the SWAP in the LVM?

I envision the SWAP partition as most desirable, but, want to know if the install statement achieves that objective.

thanks in advance

see the output of pvs (installation with 4 GB swap):

Code:
root@proxmox-ve:~# lvs
  LV   VG   Attr     LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  data pve  -wi-ao-- 91.30g
  root pve  -wi-ao-- 37.25g
  swap pve  -wi-ao--  4.00g

Thanks @Tom.

Other than modifying system after installation, is there a way to have the Installer either
1. not create a SWAP in LVM or
2. create a SWAP outside of the LVM thru a instalation-time parameter

As you know, currently the installer creates a non-LVM partition for the kernel and an LVM partition for the PROXMOX file-system. There is good reason why I would want such. The SWAP is not considered as usable information and I would not want to have a swap in my protected information storage (LVM). Hope you see understanding and value.

I'm interested in whether the installation process can provide flexibility in doing this for us.

Proxmox is a great system.

Thanks in advance for any consideration

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!