Proxmox Storage

manues50

Jul 25, 2019
Hi

I have installed proxmox in my 1 TB SSD system
I can see that is divided into local & local-lvm
local= 3.05% (2.86 GiB of 93.99 GiB)
local-lvm=0.45% (3.58 GiB of 794.76 GiB)

The issue is I can only upload iso images and backups to local and that is limited to 93.99 GB
I need to use local-lvm for more areas

how can I enable more content in local-lvm ?(currently only for Disk image and container )

In general, you can edit the content type in Datacenter->Storage with a double click on the storage. However, local-lvm allows only Disk images and containers. Here is the documentation on storages.

Thank you for the update

Is it possible to reduce the size of 'local-lvm', mount free space to somewhere in the server and allocate this new space for backup and ios images? or Is it possible to resize the 'local-lvm' and add that space to 'local'?

My server has only two slots for hard drives that are already filled with 1 TB each and is Raid 1, can you tell me any other suggestion to utilize the same server for backup and ios images other than 'local' and 'local-lvm'

Please give me a better option

You can tweak some parameters already during the installation as explained in "Advanced LVM Configuration Options".

Reducing the size could be a little tricky. Do you already have important data on local-lvm?

I don't have much data in local-lvm only a few containers and VMs that I can manage

The problem is that reducing the size of thin pool volumes is not implemented yet.
The solution starts with removing the thin pool
Code:
lvremove pve/data
The summary of local-lvm in the GUI will show Usage N/A and the entry from Disks->LVM-Thin will be removed.
Then create a new, smaller (here size 500G) logical volume.
Code:
lvcreate -L 500G pve --thinpool data
The entry in Disks-LVM-Thin will reappear and local-lvm will now show 500GiB instead of N/A.

Increase the size (here +200G) of the logical volume for the storage local including the underlying filesystem.
Code:
lvextend --resizefs -L +200G pve/root

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!