Proxmox Storage - I couldn't be more confused

ScubaGuy

Dec 31, 2022
My goal is a single mini/micro/tiny box with roughly 2.5 to 2.7 Tb of fast storage NVMe/SSD and 5Tb mirrored HDD storage.

I've setup an old mini(micro) pc (HP Elitedesk G3) with an Intel i7 & 16Gb ram with Proxmox. I replaced the 256GB NVMe that was running windows 11 with a new 1Tb NVMe for the Proxmox install. I setup a VM with Home Assistant and got it running.

For the rest of my server the plan was to use approximate 256Gb of the 1Tb for Proxmox, VMs, containers, etc. Then use the remaining 768Gb for "data". Like 95% of Windows PC use C: for OS and data. This data would be mostly movies served up via Plex or Jellyfin. (Backed up offsite on USB HDD & the original DVDs). So mostly reads, very little writes.

Then I wanted to install a 2Tb 2.5" Sata SSD into the pc's only drive bay and use this as storage for backups of my windows machines. (The actual data files are also in MS One-Drive where we have 5Tb of storage space). This would be more than enough space, since I currently only need about 1.2 Tb.

Finally, I wanted to plugin two 5Tb USB3 drives and mirror them in RAID 0. This would be more an archive of old data, photos, etc. (This will get an initial off-site HDD backup and new files incremetally to One-Drive)

Finally, I would really like to access all three (NVMe, SSD, and HDD mirror via Samba across the network. That way if someone wants to add files it's drag and drop. And, ideally all of this is visable in Nextcloud running in a Container on this same Proxmox install.

Besides Home Assistant & Jellyfin, I would like to run NextCloud - Docker, Transmission - Docker, Homer (Dashboard) - Docker, , Samba, & Unbuntu VM. I would also like to be able to have VMs for Windows 7, Window 10, and some Mac Os (All for testing purposes, not used frequently).

All that said I'm quite confused on how storage works in Proxmox. I've done some reading and watched a dozen youtube videos and really need this explained at a lower level and without the "Enterprise or Full Home Server" mindset. I don't have a huge NAS or even an additional server with unRaid and/or a ton of disks.

My goal is a single mini/micro/tiny box with roughly 2.5 to 2.7 Tb of fast storage NVMe/SSD and 5Tb mirrored HDD storage.

What I think I might know is:

I should be using LVM-THIN for storage atleast for my VMs and containers, as it will "save space"?

Buying a 1Tb NVMe was possibly a waste (I could use it else where) as I might not be able to fully utilize it, I could have just stuck with the 256Gb NVMe I already had. But 256Gb for Proxmox (VMs & Containers) and a 2Tb SSD for data is not going to be enough space. I would be close to full on day 1. Going with a 4tb SSD would give the the space I need (even more) but increase the cost a bit. 1Tb $80.00 + 2Tb SSd $160=$240 vs 256 NVMe $Free + 4Tb SSD = $360. $80/Tb vs $85/Tb

I'll appoligze now for writing so much. I typed this out to get my thoughts together and then decided I needed to ask for help.

When I installed Proxmox, I guess I just accepted the defaults (as far as storage). For partitions I have: BIOS boot 1Mb, EFI 536Mb, LVM 999Gb.

I think I should have done something to "partition" my storage as 256Gb as LVM-THIN and the 768Gb as LVM "Directory"?

What would you do, what am I missing? Can anyone recommmed a good guide for a very near beginner to get this kind of information. Most Youtube videos assume a certain amount of linux knowledge I just don't seem to have.

Thanks & Happy New Year!
ScubaGuy

Last edited:
It is possible to specify the amount of disk space to use during the install, by default the installer will use 25% of your disk which is overkill for a 1TB drive, so you can specify e.g root=32GB, leaving much more space for VM's later on.

That system supports two internal drives so I'd suggest you consider 'shucking' your external drives to install them internally as this will be easier to configure and possibly more reliable in the longer term.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!