Proxmox Sizing

ursus

Oct 26, 2021
Hi

I run a small one man business (developer) and use Proxmox to virtualise my customer Windows installations. This works perfectly - I currently have 4 Windows machines running - each with 16 GB of ram and 8 vCPU cores. My host has 64 GB of memory and a 32 x AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor (1 Socket). I have installed all the Proxmox drivers (balloning etc.). I only every use one machine at a time although all four are always running i.e. as it is only me programming I jump between the 4 machines but can only ever really use one at a time (the VMs are so fast that even when compiling it does not make sense to swap between them). I was wondering if I have given the host too little RAM. As you can see from the memory usage graph below, I am using about 48 GB of memory.... I did not think this would be the case as I assumed the balloning driver would keep the memory usage quite low because of my use case i.e. at about 24 GB (I had a similar installation using ESXi and that is how ESXi reacted). Should I give the host another 64 GB for my use case? Or would Proxmox just sort this out for me?

Thank you for any answers

Screenshot 2021-11-23 at 08.41.23.png

Hello ursus,

Do you use ZFS Filesystem ? If Yes, the cache of it consume up to a maximum of 50% of all the memory of host by default.

Best regards.

oops - sorry, should have said. no ZFS - just a single 2 TB NVMe drive - ext4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!