Proxmox setup on Xen HVM VPS ?

XZed

Sep 20, 2009
Hello all,

I subscribed to a Xen HVM VPS. I'm trying different setups/OS.

But, one i'd really like to do : setup an online Proxmox :).

Well, i prefer things clear : i don't want replies such as "why make such a thing : virtualization in virtualization ??". This type of answer never gives any extra knowledge :/ ...

When installation begins, i have this message :

unable_xvda.jpg

It refers to my Xen virtual disk : but i didn't find any result/explanation about it :/ ...

In the background, setup has stopped at this point :

postinstall_xvda.jpg

As you can see, i have been inspired by this link .

As extra informations, these are additional boot logs :

message2_xvda.jpgmessage_xvda.jpg

The output of the command : "cat /sys/block/xvda/removable" is "0".

I tried, without success, many things as repartitioning xvda disk, etc...

Setup behaves as if LVM partitioning wasn't accepted/supported.

But, to check that i setup, with success, Debian 6 setup with LVM partitioning...all ran smoothly...

I don't know if Proxmox setup is tweakable in order to avoid forced LVM paritioning, just to check different behaviors..

By the way, i don't like setting up Proxmox over previous Debian installation.

Has anyone already setup Proxmox on a Xen HVM VPS (or as any usual Xen guest) ?

Thank you,

Sincerely,

XZed

because KVM cannot be run in a nested VM environment.

Thank you (well that makes sense but i considered it and was conscious about this limit).

By the way, do you think it will be good if i run Proxmox on a KVM VPS ?

Last edited:
By the way, do you think it will be good if i run Proxmox on a KVM VPS ?

...not sure if I understand correctly...installing Proxmox on a KVM based VPS will still create a nested VM environment.
AFAIK nested KVM support is planned for future KVM releases and still far from a "production use" state.

...so, if you can wait until nested KVM is ready...and then find a KVM VPS provider who would allow for that (enables that feature...one could think that it imposes
a certain risk to the providers operations)...yes, it then would/could be an advantage at that time.
..as of your choices of today...I'd doubt that...if you want to fully use Proxmox now, go for a dedicated server.
...if you can live with OpenVZ alone, you can as well stick with you XEN VPS provider...you should be able to migrate to a KVM VPS later

Thank you very much, once more :) !

I'll search documentation/articles about nested KVM feature :) !

Indeed, initially i wanted to opt for a VDS w/ Proxmox but didn't find less than ~15€/month :(...

Well, the first difficulty : find providers featuring Proxmox, even i found some.

I imagine that price/month is a value that each one will consider cheap/expensive, but, for the moment, i wasn't considering such a price :) .

Thank you anyway !!!

Even if i was conscious and considering testing purposes over performances, thank you to declare it :) !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!