Proxmox Setup (Hardware)

aidenpryde

Dec 8, 2020
Hello,

I've been using Proxmox off and on for the past few months to host some of my development VMs. Everything looks good so far.

It's mostly got all the bells and whistles in that I've got ECC RAM, IPMI, a Xeon, etc. My VM storage is running off a couple of Samsung 983 DCT with PLP.

The only exception is that I've got the Proxmox host running off of a couple of consumer grade SSDs that I had laying around configured in a ZFS mirror.

It's gotten to the point where I want to move this into production, but I have a couple questions:

Do most people (or is it suggested) run the Proxmox host off the same ZFS pool their VMs are running off of? Or do they split the VM storage and local Proxmox host onto different pools?

Is it recommended to run the Proxmox host on a ZFS pool or a single drive with LVM?

Based on the answers to the above I will either buy some PLP enterprise SSDs to run the Proxmox host off of, or I will run both the host and the VMs off the 983's I already have.

Thanks for your help!

Generally, having the PVE installation separated from your guests is a good idea. This way you don't have to think much about your VMs when you reinstall, for example. A small ZFS mirror should be good.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!