Proxmox setup backup disk

europa

Jul 16, 2019
Hi,

I have 2 virtual machines with Windows 10.
I have problems with choosing where to place backup of my virtual machines.
When I select backup Proxmox want to save it to the disk "local" and not "smallStorage". "local" does not have enough space to store the backup, but "smallStorage" have.

backup_now.png

My Datacenter disk setup is this:

datacenter_disks.png

datacenter_storage.png

How can I get "smallStorage" to be the disk where i save backups too, and not "local"?

You have to select "VZDump backup file" as content when adding or editing a storage. However, this is not possible for storages of type LVM. You can read the chapter about storages in our documentation for more information about storage types.

So I have tried to make a Directory with ID=backup, Directory=/var/lib/backup and Content=VZDump backup file.
However when I want to backup a virtual machine it doesnt go to "smallStorage". The backup Directory is created on the wrong disk I think.
vzdump_1.png vzdump_2.png

If you create a folder on your local storage and create a directory there then your backups will be on your local storage. This is why you should mount your smallStorage and is explained in the link I posted before.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!