Proxmox server on Macbook Mini

bjochym

Mar 5, 2024
Hi,
I have an offer to buy a Macbook Mini 2018 A1993 32GB RAM 256GB/512GB i7 6 cores for $400 for my first home lab server. I want to learn virtualization, try to install Zabbix, Gitlab runner module, some basic Linux/Sys Admin tools. Is it worth it or not?

Thank you for all your advises

on the assumption its this model:
The Apple Mac mini "Core i7" 3.2 (Late 2018/Space Gray) features a 14 nm "Coffee Lake" 3.2 GHz Intel "Core i7" (8700B) processor with six independent processor "cores" on a single chip, a 12 MB shared level 3 cache, 8 GB of user upgradable 2666 MHz DDR4 PC4-21300 SDRAM, 128 GB, 256 GB, or 512 GB of onboard PCIe-based SSD storage, and an "integrated" Intel UHD Graphics 630 graphics processor that shares system memory.

I expect you could run a small home server with Proxmox on that to experiment, I myself started with 1xHP EliteDesk Mini i7-9700 and now have 3 in a cluster. When I had one I experimented with VM's, LXCs and K8s. Also tried Casa OS all ran fine.

Also look at Trigkey / Beelink on amazon, newer low power some with 2 NICs, Amazon deals bring some of these down to low price.

I would see what other models you could get on Ebay, you may find a SFF IBM, Dell or HP there cheaper. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
I’ve got one of these Mac Mini’s. Will Proxmox install on this? I’ve read conflicting posts about whether it will or will not. Some mention issues with a T2 chip.

The Intel ones will be fine
Thank you. I tried it and it worked (Mac Mini 2018 i7 (A1993). There's a 60 second freeze on boot due to issues with bluetooth and possibly wifi adapters. Any solution would be greatly received.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!