[SOLVED] Proxmox server backup (the host) question regarding /etc/pve

apoc

Famous Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hello Proxmox team,

my current backup of the Proxmox installation is a DD of my boot media.
It happened yesterday that I needed to bring the backup into play.

This went fine:
- restoring the USB stick on my Linux Workstation
- mounting the file systems on the USB stick

There is struggeled:
- Copying the most current config files into /etc/pve directory. The directory on my USB stick (mounted on my local workstation) was completely empty. At the point where I booted from it I could see that /dev/fuse was mounted into /etc/pve.

I struggle to understand what actually happens here. I have read certain things about the fuse file system abstraction layer but seem to be unable to find a way to "inject" more recent config backup files into my DD image after restore.

Any pointers where the data actually is stored which can be accessed in /etc/pve on a running Proxmox server?
Thanks a lot and with best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Hello Udo,

thanks for your answer.

I realize that I have searched entirely wrong to get the answer I was looking for.

From my perspective the answer to my real question is: You would not do it like I tried, because there is an SQLite involved which is not available when the Proxmox instance is not booted.

Seems to me that I need to adjust my "recovery plan" slightly as you suggested. I think it is not as neat as what I have planned and how I handle it with all my other physical Linux / BSD systems but if this is the only way to do things, well then it is how it is.

Thanks again and with best regards
Thomas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!