[SOLVED] Proxmox secure firewall?

krikey

Aug 15, 2018
UK
Loving Proxmox at the moment. I wondered how good the Proxmox built in firewall was in a securing VMs/LXcs sense compared to virtualizing something like pfSense as either a VM or LXC.

I'd appreciate users mileage on this one. I know that pfSense is a dedicated firewall application and so has many more bells/whistles available if comparing the GUIs but they are both based on iptables arent they?

Proxmox-firewall is just front-end for iptables. Do not expect too much of it. It is a little better than esxi-firewall, but still very "basic" and some of advanced features are not directly accessible. Anyway, serious filtering should be always offloaded away from proxmox-host. Filtering traffic to/from VMs could be done by firewall appliance running in VM, but you should never use VM for filtering access to Proxmox management interface.

BTW, pfSense/OPNsense is not using "iptables", because it is based on BSD (so it has "pf"). If you are looking for iptables-based firewall, IPFire comes to my mind. If you want something even more robust, you could test sophos-utm/xg...

Reactions: krikey

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!