Proxmox SDN EVPN zone: Containers are reachable via ping but inaccessible on ports (SSH, HTTP)

T2an

Jun 20, 2024
Hello,

I have recently set up an SDN EVPN zone on my Proxmox VE 8.2 cluster. The configuration appears to be partially working as I can successfully ping all containers from my Proxmox hosts. Additionally, I can access services such as SSH from other containers within the SDN zone. However, I am facing issues accessing these services directly from the Proxmox hosts or from outside the SDN.

Here are some details about my setup:

Proxmox Version: 8.2
Below is my `/etc/network/interfaces.d/sdn` configuration file:

#version:3

auto cesenet
iface cesenet
address 10.10.10.1/24
post-up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j SNAT --to-source 132.104.71.20
post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j SNAT --to-source 132.104.71.20
post-up iptables -t raw -I PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1
post-down iptables -t raw -D PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1
hwaddress BC:21:11:AA:E2:23
bridge_ports vxlan_cesenet
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
mtu 1450
ip-forward on
arp-accept on
vrf vrf_cesenet

auto vrf_cesenet
iface vrf_cesenet
vrf-table auto
post-up ip route del vrf vrf_cesenet unreachable default metric 4278198272

auto vrfbr_cesenet
iface vrfbr_cesenet
bridge-ports vrfvx_cesenet
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
mtu 1450
vrf vrf_cesenet

auto vrfvx_cesenet
iface vrfvx_cesenet
vxlan-id 10000
vxlan-local-tunnelip 132.204.71.20
bridge-learning off
bridge-arp-nd-suppress on
mtu 1450

auto vxlan_cesenet
iface vxlan_cesenet
vxlan-id 11000
vxlan-local-tunnelip 132.204.71.20
bridge-learning off
bridge-arp-nd-suppress on
mtu 1450

Current Situation
  • I can ping containers from Proxmox hosts.
  • Containers can communicate with each other and access services such as SSH internally.
  • Services (e.g., SSH, HTTP) on containers are not accessible directly from Proxmox hosts or from external networks.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
  1. Verified that the services are running and accessible from other containers within the SDN.
  2. Ensured there are no firewall rules blocking the ports.
  3. Verified that the services are listening on all interfaces (`0.0.0.0`).
  4. Checked logs but did not find any relevant entries when trying to access the services.

Any insights or suggestions to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi,

Did you manage to solve it? I am using a VXLAN zone and have the same issue.

In the past I had that kind of setup working properly with vmbr0 attached and able to connect, but recently added SDN and now I noticed the problem.

If I attach a VNet, I can connect from my LAN, but if I replace it by a virtual NIC using vmbr0 or even I leave both, I can't ssh to the VM/LXC. Only ping works.

I've performed an additional test. I connected a USB NIC and assigned it to vmbr1, then connected a VM to vmbr1. That way I was able to SSH from my laptop to that VM. That way I discard that there is any firewall or VM problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!