svel26

Oct 6, 2017
Hello community!
Tell me to buy ryzen for proxmox?
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC
RAM Kingston HyperX FURY Black Series [HX424C15FB2K4/32] 32 GB
It will be a working server.
Really want to buy ryzen, but do not want problems.
will work without errors?

Last edited:
I'm running 5.0 with Ryzen 7 1700 on B350 (AsRock board) with no problems.

I'm running 5.0 with Ryzen 7 1800X, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Profesional Gaming and 4x16GB Crucial DDR4 ECC-Ram modules (CT16G4WFD824A), no problems as well. The Taichi X370 is basicly the same board, just without the additional onboard 5GbE network card (that needs Kernel 4.11 at least, so not supported as of Proxmox 5.0 yet, but should be in 5.1) and a different sound chip.

I'm running 5.0 with Ryzen 7 1800X, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Profesional Gaming and 4x16GB Crucial DDR4 ECC-Ram modules (CT16G4WFD824A), no problems as well. The Taichi X370 is basicly the same board, just without the additional onboard 5GbE network card (that needs Kernel 4.11 at least, so not supported as of Proxmox 5.0 yet, but should be in 5.1) and a different sound chip.

Hello, are you using GPU passthrough with that setup? Which video card did you decide to go with?

I am running threadripper with X399 Taichi mobo. I have ECC ram and ZFS striped across 2 discs. Nice little home setup. The 4.15 kernel, which will be released soon, brings per-core temperature monitoring, which you might like. I am running headless as a server though - I've seen various posts elsewhere about problems on GPU pass through, but these may be out of date posts - I just don't know. Good luck!

I am running threadripper with X399 Taichi mobo. I have ECC ram and ZFS striped across 2 discs. Nice little home setup. The 4.15 kernel, which will be released soon, brings per-core temperature monitoring, which you might like. I am running headless as a server though - I've seen various posts elsewhere about problems on GPU pass through, but these may be out of date posts - I just don't know. Good luck!

Hey thanks for sharing! I've seen quite a few posts regarding different experiences with GPU Passthrough (most of which seemed to discuss issues). However, a while back I was able to successfully get GPU Passthrough to work on PVE 4 with a Windows 10 VM using an older MSI Z97-Gaming MB (Intel CPU) and a Sapphire Radeon HD 7970. What I found out during my experiment is that GPU Passthrough should work as long as your CPU supports IOMMU Redirect Mapping and proper IOMMU Grouping, which I believe the Ryzen CPU does from what I have gathered. My plan is to have a Windows 10 VM and Ubuntu VM (or some flavor of Linux) on PVE 5 each using GPU Passthrough to a separate graphics card and then use something like Synergy for my mouse and keyboard to work between each OS. I know if I ever wanted to plug a USB flash drive in to copy a file I would have to use a dedicated USB flash drive for USB Passthrough on each OS unless I wanted to setup the flash drive and reboot Proxmox each time. I also thought about using two USB hubs and passthrough each hub to each OS but I'm not 100% sure that would work.

... I know if I ever wanted to plug a USB flash drive in to copy a file I would have to use a dedicated USB flash drive for USB Passthrough on each OS unless I wanted to setup the flash drive and reboot Proxmox each time. I also thought about using two USB hubs and passthrough each hub to each OS but I'm not 100% sure that would work.
Hi,
what's about a little linux-vm which act as fileserver to transmit data between the VMs?

Udo

Hi,
what's about a little linux-vm which act as fileserver to transmit data between the VMs?

Udo

I would still need to transfer files to the linux-vm fileserver which would require me adding the USB flash drive as a passthrough device. I see what your saying though, it would cut down the number of USB flash drives I would need for each OS. Also, if a friend or family member came over and wanted to transfer some photos or a file from a flash drive I would have to add that USB device as passthrough. That's why I thought a dedicated USB hub to each OS set to passthrough would be a better option.

Hi Vork ... In the AsRock bios, is it clear that ECC mode can be acitvated? And besides that, did you do any sort of tests in Linux (Proxmox or other) to determine if it was working? The info on their website for various otherboards is very confusing. They have an * after all the RAM specs stating that ECC is only supported on Ryzen PRO cpus. The * is listed after each of the three Ryzen families but the * note specifically mentions Raven Ridge so it COULD only be referring to Raven Ridge (the new APUs), but then why have the * after the other families too?

Hi,

I use Amd cpu for many years. I do not remember if I see any of this Motherboards that say that do not see ECC ram(it is what I see at the kernel boot, even if the bios do not have any ECC menu). One time I have test 2 different cheap amd motherboards(3 - 4 years ago) and I mount 2 ECC ram modules. And it was Ok for both cases.
After some tine I read that any amd motherboards are ECC capable even if this is not specifically in the documents of them.
The best way is to test in your own case and to find yourself if it is true or not.

Good luck!

Hi.... quick post, ask me if you want to hear more. I went with Ryzen 2700x on and x470 motherboard. I used 2 16GB 2400 ECC ram chips (crucial) and the geekbench scores are amazing and ECC is probably working! (I'm not going to do the hair dryer test)

From dmesg
Code:
[   12.936395] EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC enabled.
[   12.936396] EDAC amd64: F17h detected (node 0).
[   12.936431] EDAC MC: UMC0 chip selects:
[   12.936431] EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
[   12.936432] EDAC amd64: MC: 2: 16383MB 3: 16383MB
[   12.936433] EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
[   12.936433] EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
[   12.936435] EDAC MC: UMC1 chip selects:
[   12.936436] EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
[   12.936436] EDAC amd64: MC: 2: 16383MB 3: 16383MB
[   12.936437] EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
[   12.936437] EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
[   12.936438] EDAC amd64: using x8 syndromes.
[   12.936438] EDAC amd64: MCT channel count: 2
[   12.936560] EDAC MC0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller F17h: DEV 0000:00:18.3 (INTERRUPT)
[   12.936567] EDAC PCI0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller EDAC PCI controller: DEV 0000:00:18.0 (POLLED)
[   12.936568] AMD64 EDAC driver v3.5.0
and

Code:
edac-util
edac-util: EDAC drivers are loaded. 1 MC detected:
  mc0:F17h

Also, memtest86 v7..5 (boot in UEFI mode!) indicates ECC.

I'm still testing things but so far so good ... oh, there is a problem with rebooting or shutting down "watchdog did not stop" / "kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill init!"

That didn't happen on this hardware testing from a Fedora 28 live environment, so I'm thinking either I'll figure out the work-around or it will just get fixed with updates at some point.

Hello community!
Tell me to buy ryzen for proxmox?
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC
RAM Kingston HyperX FURY Black Series [HX424C15FB2K4/32] 32 GB
It will be a working server.
Really want to buy ryzen, but do not want problems.
will work without errors?

With Ryzen 1700, make sure you update the BIOS to the most recent version.
When using GPU passthrough, you may require to use a reset script.

#!/bin/bash
#
#replace xx\:NN.x with the number of your gpu and sound counterpart
#
#
echo "disconnecting amd graphics"
echo "1" | tee -a /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:NN\:00.0/remove
echo "disconnecting amd sound counterpart"
echo "1" | tee -a /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:NN\:00.1/remove
echo "entered suspended state press power button to continue"
echo -n mem > /sys/power/state
echo "reconnecting amd gpu and sound counterpart"
echo "1" | tee -a /sys/bus/pci/rescan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!