Proxmox remote server management

Tim Heath

Feb 26, 2017
Hi all,

I'm quite new to Proxmox but the limited experience I have with it has made me a believer. I have created numerous VM's and all are successfully functioning. I have no problem managing thru web gui LOCALLY. However, many times I need to access the gui remotely and have been unsuccessful in configuring to allow remote management.

Thus far I have created rules in my firewall to allow access for ports 43, 443, 22 and 5000 - 5999....is there something I'm missing or perhaps some configuration unique to proxmox?

Thanks

Thanks for the link Tom. So, am I understanding correctly that the Proxmox VE firewall needs to be configured before I will be able to remotely access? Am I correct in thinking that simply configuring port forwarding on my router is not going to provide ability to manage the server remotely?

the GUI is on port 8006, as long as your firewall/router allows this port, you can access.

The GUI port is actually the only port you need to get GUI access to everything. This also works perfect using a SSH tunnel, which should be the best method to access your server if you want to firewall it. Firewall should block everything except SSH (good idea to put it on another port than 22) and tunnel your way through. With this, you get the highest possible out-of-the-box security.

Thanks LnxBil, I will def take that advice. In the meantime, I have opened port 8006 on my router and forwarded traffic to my server however I am still unable to hit the server remotely.....SMH. Also, what web service is running in proxmox? I do not see either apache nor nginx running yet I can still access gui locally so some web service is running...thanks again for the great advice.

Yep, that's exactly how I'm entering it....as stated, I have no problem locally. However, offsite I cannot access???

Can you ping your server using its external address? Is it the correct IP address?
What is the browser error?

I can ping the external and I have confirmed it's the correct address....at least that's what my ISP is indicating the address is. Browser simply says site unavailable....tried 3 different browsers.

This still sounds like a port forwarding issue to me.
Can you SSH in? As LnxBil stated, it is best to use SSH tunneling anyway.

Here are generic example rules:
Code:
External Port    Ext. IP Address    Internal Port    Internal IP Address
TCP/UDP: 8006    Any                TCP/UDP: 8006    192.168.0.254
TCP/UDP: 22      Any                TCP/UDP: 22      192.168.0.254

Last edited:
Did you add an "Accept in" rule in the Proxmox Firewall? You could try to simply disable the firewall in Proxmox temporarily to make sure the problem isn't there. After that is done, setup the port forward in your router. That should be everything you need to do.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!