Proxmox, plex lxc, external windows drive for storage

gregma

Dec 19, 2022
Greetings all!

I am a huge newbie to the world of proxmox. I got into it to move my plex server, and Home Assistant server from windows VMs to proxmox running on a Dell Optiplex 7050 with 16GB ram and 256GB SSD.

Hassos is running quite well! Right now I'm trying to setup plex. I have the lxc going with the plex server and that seems to be good. However, my main storage drive is on my windows server. It's an 8GB drive with all my movies, pics, music, etc.

I have that drive (it's the G: drive) mounted in the datacenter called "MainFDrive" as a SMB/CIFS type. Content is VZDump backup file, Disk image, ISO image, Container, Container template. Now I'd like to make this proxmox storage available to the plex lxc. My plex is running, but when I want to go to MainFDrive\Movies (for instance), it doesn't appear that contain can access it. I've tried to do all kinds of google searches and I just can't find the magic ticket to allow my plex lxc the ability to access the proxmox MainFDrive SMB storage.

Greg

I'm basically in the same boat as you, @gregma.

New to Proxmox, but stood up & migrated Home Assistant. Now moving onto Plex; I have a 500GB SSD attached to a mini PC (HP Elitedesk 800 G3) and I aim to connect via SMB or similar on my home network in order to use my main machine to convert files for Plex with Handbrake after downloading with an LXC client like Transmission.

Sounds like Proxmox strength is in redundancy and decoupling of storage from compute, so maybe I should aim to have 2x 500GB SSD drives in order to properly backup my media? Thanks in advance to the community for any guidance :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!