Proxmox + pfsense

Patryk803

May 25, 2022
Hey. I have quite successfully installed pfsense on my proxmox mini PC with 2 interfaces. After the installation of pfsense I've lost access to proxmox. I know how to recover it. My question is how can I access both pfsense and proxmox from 1 LAN port? I can think of two solutions that I've already tried.
1. Bridge management interface with LAN port - didn't work
2. Assign 2 ip addresses to the LAN port - don't know how to set that one up. In terms of networking is pretty wild setup as the default GW for the proxmox is pfsense.Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 23.53.54.png

Do you passthrough the NICs? If not you could just work with virtual virtio NICs and bridges.
In case you pass them through you could still create a bridge that isn't connected to any physical NIC, give that bridge a IP and gateway and attach a virtio NIC of the pfSense VM to that bridge.

Last edited:
Hey Dunuin thanks for the reply. What I've tried now is:
Passthrough only the WAN interface
For the LAN. In proxmox create Linux Bridge with IP 192.168.0.80/24 and DGW 192.168.0.1/24 (which should point to the pfsense).
In the pfsense I attached this virtual interface (linux bridge) to the LAN. When I connect to the physical device I can access only pfsense and not proxmox. I've also tried to ping 192.168.0.80 from pfsense to proxmox and it didn't work. Means there's something wrong with the bridge for them

Last edited:
Yeah, while you can do this using passthrough interfaces, I wouldn't - for the sake of some flexibility perhaps.

But to add to @Dunuin's explanation, here's a scenario I believe would work for you:

Proxmox Host Network
NameTypePorts/SlavesCIDRGWComments
enp1s0Network Device
enp2s0Network Device
vmbr0Linux Bridgeenp1s0WAN
vmbr1Linux Bridgeenp2s0192.168.0.80/24192.168.0.1LAN

pfSense VM Network
IDNameBridgeIPGW
net0igb0vmbr0nonenone
net1igb1vmbr1nonenone

pfSense Config
  • igb0, WAN, DHCP-Client/Static/PPPoE depending on your ISP/ONT
  • igb1, LAN, Static 192.168.0.1, DHCP Server
    • Either reserve 192.168.0.80 for Proxmox host or set non-conflicting DHCP Scope, ie: 192.168.0.100-200
  • Check to disable Hardware Checksum Offloading under System > Advanced > Networking.

Reactions: Patryk803
StiLDalF thanks! You've saved my hours of troubleshooting this! Btw I haven't changed anything. I just disabled this Hardware Checksum Offloading. So for the WAN I'm still using passthrough. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleasure to be of service.

Nothing wrong with the passthrough NIC. I just mentioned and prefer the alternate method for the flexibility of bridging that interface to other VM instances if necessary or experimenting with other scenarios.

Reactions: Patryk803
Hey. I just wanted to update this thread as I am getting errors after a day or two in pfsense console and I need to reboot the whole box. So basically it’s running Proxmox as a Hypervisor and I installed pfsense inside it. Everything is working fine for around 1-2days and after that I am getting the below messages from the console and I no longer have access to the pfsense GUI. The weirdest thing is I have access to the Internet from my 2nd Access point (only when I am connected via the cable to it) but the WiFi doesn’t work at all. So the setup is as follows: Minipc (Proxmox -> pfsense) -> Netgear Orbi AP - > Mesh Netgear Orbi 2nd AP. After those errorrs in the console I can still reach the GUI of proxmox but I cannot see any errors there. Any ideas what I did wrong? The disk I am using is SSD

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 08.25.17.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 08.25.17.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 39

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!