Proxmox pbs to remote backup

jHorrocks

Dec 1, 2022
I have 2 servers at the moment:

1 - PVE1 running RAID 10 with ZFS
2 - PBS1 running RAID 10 with ZFS

All ok, backups to the PBS1 from PVE1 are all ok but I am thinking of using a "REMOTE" PBS from PBS1 to PBS2 but the online options from OVHCloud hosting company only offer installation of PBS on ext4. It means I have a single 2TB drive formatted and installed as ext4 and no way of creating a zfs drive. I can create a datastore and connect to it no problem but.......

Is it ok to remote sync a zfs filesystem backup on PBS1 to an ext4 filesystem on PBS2?

Are there any issues with restore or performance issues?

PBS sync jobs are agnostic w.r.t. the underlying storage of the datastore (as is PBS in general - although of course, a faster storage will provide better performance ;)).

Reactions: willybong
PBS sync jobs are agnostic w.r.t. the underlying storage of the datastore (as is PBS in general - although of course, a faster storage will provide better performance ;)).
I dont understand sorry. You mean zfs would be faster than ext4? Also will the restore feature be ok?

PBS doesn't care whether you have ZFS or ext4 underneath a datastore, neither for the backup/restore part, nor for the sync part.

depending on how exactly your storage is set up, what hardware you are using, etc.pp. one or the other might be faster. ZFS does provide other benefits as well (such as snapshotting on the storage layer, detection of or even protection against bit-rot, ..).

PBS doesn't care whether you have ZFS or ext4 underneath a datastore, neither for the backup/restore part, nor for the sync part.

depending on how exactly your storage is set up, what hardware you are using, etc.pp. one or the other might be faster. ZFS does provide other benefits as well (such as snapshotting on the storage layer, detection of or even protection against bit-rot, ..).
I am running a DELL R630, 8 x 1.2TB SAS 10K 12GBs drives on both PVE1 and PBS1 with 128GB of RAM, HBA mode enabled on the H730 Mini RAID card and installed proxmox pve and pbs on all 8 drives on both PVE1 and PBS1 as RAID 10 on installation (not sure if this is a good idea?)

So is it just as quick to backup to a single disk as a directory on a single disk than if i create a zfs on that single disk?

yes, in that case almost certainly the disk itself will be the bottle neck.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!