Proxmox on Shuttle XPC Barebone

MarBen

Jul 2, 2012
Hi everyone,

since this is my first post in this forum, I'd like to tell you how I found Proxmox: my problem is that currently ESXi 5 doesn't support the hardware configuration I'd like to buy. There seems to be an issue with the new Intel x77 chipset and thus I'm looking for an alternative.

Even though I'm not looking for any detailed information from you experts, I'd like to ask if there's any obvious reason for Proxmot not to work with the following hardware configuration:
  • Shuttle XPC Barebone SZ77R5 (Intel Z77 chipset)
  • 4x4 GB Corsair PC-1600 SDRAM-DDR3
  • Seagate Barracuda 3 TB SATA HDD

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers

I do not know this hardware in detail but generally speaking, you should use server hardware for server solution. but we also use desktop systems for our testlab, e.g. GA-Z77-DS3H works great (with corei7-3770k).

Dear Tom,

thank you for your reply! Of course, one should use dedicated server hardware. In a second step, Proxmox might become a solution for our company (on appropriate hardware), but first I'd like to try it in a non-critical environment like at home.

So obviously, Proxmox doesn't have problems with the new Ivy Bridge chipset (since you've tested it successfully) and there are also no issues with a 3 TB HDD as the only volume. ESXi doesn't work with either configuration.

Thanks again for this valueable information!

Kind regards

MarBen

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!