proxmox on Intel S5000VSASASR LSI M1064E RAID

V

voldinss

Hi,
I have Intel S5000VSASASR serverboard with LSI M1064E RAID controller and Intel Embedded Server RAID technology II software.

Wanted to install proxmox VE 1.8. Intallation didn`t find any hdd on system.
Tried debain 6 standart install with mptsas and megaraid drivers - no success.

Now I got to this driver page by LSI http://lsi.com/support/products/Pages/LSISAS1064E.aspx
But RHEL and SLES are not proxmox engine compatible oses, am I right?

Any suggestions?

I assume this is a fakeraid controller?, which is not supported. use a real hardware raid card.

Ok, if we accept the fact that I have a fakeraid, what are my options?
Try to make software raid?

read my first answer to your post.

The proxmox distribution only supports hardware raid. It is probably not worth the effort for the developers to integrate software raid in their installer. Data integrity is only a secondary reason (otherwise they wouldn't allow installation on systems without any RAID at all ;-)

Your option is basically to do a manual Debian and then Proxmox installation. See also the wiki. But this is not a supported setup, so you better be an expert int this area (but since you didn't know what fake raid is maybe it would be a good investment to buy a hardware raid cars with BBU ~$400+ ;-).

one option would be, of course, to install PVE on top of debian lenny.
- install debian lenny on a controller/disk, lenny would recognize
- get the drivers for your motherboard from LSI.
AFAIK each LSI linux driver set comes with the same source-tree. It can be easily installed via DKMS.
So any linux distro driver from LSI would do...extract the source, install DKMS tools on lenny and build the driver.
- setup LVM storage as desired
- install PVE via apt repository

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!