Proxmox on a Laptop with Gnome + Power Management + Suspend + Bluetooth + Wifi

logui

Feb 22, 2024
I want to use my Laptop (Dell XPS 9520) with Proxmox as the base/host OS with Gnome desktop and functional basic laptop features, like Suspend, Power Management, Wireless and Bluetooth, I have tried the following options:

1.- Installed Proxmox then Gnome desktop:
- I couldn't get Wifi and Bluetooth to work (any recommendation)
- Will the Proxmox Kernel do power management of the laptop efficiently (couldn't validate this)
- Didn't test suspend (sorry my bad)
- Will Gnome-core be enough? I don't need most of the other Gnome applications

2.- Installed Debian 12.5 then Proxmox:
- Everything laptop wise (power management, suspend, wifi, Bluetooth) was working fine with the base Debian 12.5 install
- When I installed Proxmox on top, and the Debian kernel was replaced with the Proxmox kernel, Wifi and Bluetooth stopped working
- I didn't fully validated all the other laptop functionality (suspend, power management)

What option do you recommend best to have a functional and stable laptop with power management, suspend, wifi and bluetooth operational from the laptop/desktop perspective, and having a solid PVE running in the background, any recommendation or guide you can reference will be appreciated, thank you

What about running your Linux OS of choice and then PVE inside a KVM or VirtualBox VM with nested virtualization enabled? I don't see fully laptop support in PVE. It's not the primary target OS.

What about running your Linux OS of choice and then PVE inside a KVM or VirtualBox VM with nested virtualization enabled? I don't see fully laptop support in PVE. It's not the primary target OS.
That’s a valid option, how do you implement nested virtualization in KVM with Virt Manager or Gnome Boxes? I have not used Virtual Box

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!