Proxmox NUC 10 NIC Issues

rileyskyler

Jun 2, 2020
Intel NUC 10 10i3FNH

I'm trying to install Proxmox on my Intel Nuc 10. At first, I was having problems connecting to the UI server, but after deeper inspection I have no internet access over ethernet.

I believe this to be a problem with the NIC, because it's a problem when I also attempted to install Hassio baremetal. I have no issues when using Ubuntu Desktop. I can't figure out how to update the ethernet driver via the CLI - granted that's even the solution.

Does anyone have ideas on what I can try from here?

Hi,

the NIC is an I219 which will work out of the box.
The WLAN module driver will not work without the firmware.

Do you see the nic if you run

Code:
ip -c a

It looks like the NIC is being recognized, but it's not connected somehow.
IMG_20200604_140022.jpg
I tried `if[down/up] en01` without results, but I'm not sure what I'm even doing.
I'll admit I'm new to networking and a junior to Linux.

There's a driver on Intel's site which I linked above, but without using *RPM* to install, requires a few commands including `make` which doesn't appear to exist in my Proxmox CLI. Intel Documentation

I have a Unifi Dream machine coming in today to replace my internet provider's stock router. Maybe it's a networking issue.

Please send your network config and try this command and send the output.

The config is at this path /etc/network/interfaces.

Code:
ifdown vmbr0 --force && ifdown eno1 --force && ifup -v vmbr0

This is my network config at `/etc/network/interfaces`

IMG_20200605_120908.jpg

I ran the command you suggested, but still am unable to `ping www.google.com` and connect to the VE host in my browser - even after reboot.

Is it possible that the Ethernet cable is broken?
Or the port on the other side is not enabled?

I've used two ethernet cables, both provided internet in Ubuntu install running on the same hardware. I am connected this way at this moment running a virtual box VM ontop Ubuntu.

I started using my new Unifi Dream Machine and didn't make a difference when trying to access the hosted ui.

Last edited:
Update
I was able to get a network connection using an usb ethernet nic. I tried it before, not sure why that wouldn't work the first time. I did so with success after reinstalling the OS with the nic connected

This will serve as a good stopgap until I can figure out why the onboard nic isn't working.

Maybe there is a Bios update that will help.
General I can tell you the NIC chipset is working and Intel NUC in past versions always worked.

From the information I've gathered, there is a missing driver on Proxmox. This is deep in the OS (maybe kernel). Although, I don't have access to update these drivers on Proxmox (`make` command ect). If this is the case I'd greatly appeciate an update with this fix.

Proxmox please bring NIC support to the NUC 10.

There is no driver missing and the nic work here fine without any problem.

This is the case as well with my NUC10 running VE 6.3-2.

I get the same outoput as @rileyskyler running the mentioned command:
Code:
ifdown vmbr0 --force && ifdown eno1 --force && ifup -v vmbr0

Output:
Code:
ifup: configuring interface vmbr0=vmbr0 (inet)
/bin/run-parts --exit-on-error --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/bridge

Waiting for vmbr0 to get ready (MAXWAIT is 2 seconds).
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/ifenslave
+ [ inet = meta ]
+ IF_BOND_SLAVES=
+ [  ]
+ [  ]
+ [ -z  ]
+ exit
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/vlan
/sbin/ip addr add 192.168.88.60/255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.88.255    dev vmbr0 label vmbr0
/sbin/ip link set dev vmbr0   up
 /sbin/ip route add default via 192.168.88.1  dev vmbr0 onlink
/bin/run-parts --exit-on-error --verbose /etc/network/if-up.d
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/bridgevlan
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/bridgevlanport
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/ifenslave
+ [ inet = meta ]
+ [  ]
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/mtu
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/postfix

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!