Proxmox Networking Problem

G

gatamah

I have just installed proxmox. I have one network interface and I am trying to set up public IPs as below. I would like to be able to assign public ips to the guests.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address XX.XX.XX.162
netmask 255.255.255.248
gateway XX.XX.XX.161
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
I have set-up two containers XX.XX.XX.163 and XX.XX.XX.164. They can reach each other but cannot go past the host. Have i missed something?

You didn't give enough informations to understand your needs.

if you are on a private LAN you need a router to translate public IP's to your local IP assignment.
if you are hosted, I think you need to add manually a default route to the host.

How many public IPs do you have for your machine ?

I have a /29 assignment of public IPs say a.b.c.160/29. The host is a.b.c.162/29. I have two VMs, one with a mail server(a.b.c.163) and one with ownCloud (a.b.c.164). I can ping all the hosts from the host and vice-versa but I cannot ping a machine past my gateway say 4.2.2.2.

I have set a default route to the host on both the VMs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a /29 assignment of public IPs say a.b.c.160/29. The host is a.b.c.162/29. I have two VMs, one with a mail server(a.b.c.163) and one with ownCloud (a.b.c.164). I can ping all the hosts from the host and vice-versa but I cannot ping a machine past my gateway say 4.2.2.2.

Default route to the Proxmox-Host? Shouldn't it be the default gateway definied by your Hoster?

Else use virtual networks and some kind of Router/Firewall like the Astaro UTM (now Sophos)... it's free for personal use (with all commercial subscriptions) and "Essentials"-version is free for commercial use (but just the basic functionality). It's always better to put a firewall-solution in front of servers which are reachable from the internet. Thats the way i would do it ;)

Hi,
like blurrrr wrote, you must also use a.b.c.161 as default-router inside the guest.
Try on the host "tcpdump -i vmbr0 host a.b.c.163" and ping from the mail server to outside and see what output tcpdump show. Perhaps your hoster don't like different mac-adresses. In this case you need an NAT solution with iptables.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!