Proxmox Network Interface Name Problems

halnabriss

Mar 2, 2014
Hi,
Few months ago (On proxmox ve 6) I have installed new fiber NIC with mellanox sfp on Dell PowerEdge Servers, the proxmox ve detected the new names as "enp67s0f1np1" (note : the name is 12 letters), and to use the new interfaces I have added VLAN extensions to the interface Bridge Port name, some of my VLANs was 1 digit in length , others were two and three digits.

Examples of my VLANS:

enp67s0f1np1.2
enp67s0f1np1.8
enp67s0f1np1.15
enp67s0f1np1.80
enp67s0f1np1.250
enp67s0f1np1.286

So, I found out that if the number of characters exceeded 15 character , the interface doesn't work and it shows the following errors in the networking service status:

Code:
Jul 07 09:57:18 srv02 ifup[3294]: Error: argument "enp67s0f1np1.286" is wrong: "name" not a valid ifname
Jul 07 09:57:18 srv02 ifup[3294]: interface enp67s0f1np1.286 does not exist!

and so the interfaces with VLAN 250 and 286 didn't work , but all the others (with 15 characters or less) worked without any problems.
However to solve the problem , I tried to make workarounds.

Now after releasing the new version of Proxmox VE 7, I can see in the known issues (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_7.0):
Code:
Known Issues

Network: Due to the updated systemd version, and for most upgrades, the newer kernel version (5.4 to 5.11), some network interfaces might change upon reboot:Some may change their name. For example, due to newly supported functions, a change from enp33s0f0 to enp33s0f0np0 could occur. We observed such changes with high-speed Mellanox models.

And making longer names will take us back to the same problem again, and some workarounds will ne even be usable!

So what is the best solution for such problems?

thanks in advance.

from the gui, you can create named "vlanX" interfaces like

Code:
auto vlan80
iface vlan80 inet manual
    vlan-raw-device enp67s0f1np1

or, as alternative, a random name if possible with ifupdown2

Code:
auto myadmin
iface myadmin inet manual
    vlan-id 80

Yes Spirit, thanks
but in my case I need the host server to be able to connect to the VLAN 286, and if you create a vlan interface with IP address you cannot create a bridge for that interface!!
thanks for your reply

Then create the bridge on the NIC and define the vlan on that bridge. That should also solve the mame length issue.

Yes Spirit, thanks
but in my case I need the host server to be able to connect to the VLAN 286, and if you create a vlan interface with IP address you cannot create a bridge for that interface!!
thanks for your reply

Code:
auto vlan286
iface vlan286 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address ...
    bridge_ports vlan286

I would still do it the other way round:
Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
  bridge_ports enp67s0f1np1

auto vmbr0.286
iface vmbr0.286 inet static
  address ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!