Proxmox Migration Non-Cluster

cshill

May 8, 2024
Hi Everyone,
I have learned to migrate just fine within clusters and moving VM's via HA but this question is in regards to migration to other Proxmox hosts without a cluster. A straight P2P method. I suggested using the backup option to a Proxmox Backup server then restoring it but that just doubles the time for transfer with a middle man however much cleaner.

I also have tried SCP from one proxmox to another proxmox but the challenge is that the config file would need to be manually edited. Example, I make a VM on data3 of server1. Server 2 does not have a data3 storage but has a data2. I make a directory and everything on data2 and the files transfer but the config file of the VMs says they should be on data3. Server2 also doesn't initially recognize the disks and if you qm -rescan the disks show up as hard disks even though one is a hard disk, one is a TPM, and one is an EFI. This breaks the natural boot and instead I have to go to bios and change the boot order.

The problem with the method above is the amount of "in the shell" work.

In addition, does anyone know of a clean method to upload random different disk images to Proxmox and for it to format effectively?

Hi @cshill , have tried the command below?

man qm
Code:
       qm remote-migrate <vmid> [<target-vmid>] <target-endpoint> --target-bridge <string> --target-storage <string> [OPTIONS]
       Migrate virtual machine to a remote cluster. Creates a new migration task. EXPERIMENTAL feature!

<vmid>: <integer> (100 - 999999999)
           The (unique) ID of the VM.

<target-vmid>: <integer> (100 - 999999999)

<target-endpoint>: apitoken=<PVEAPIToken=user@realm!token=SECRET> ,host=<ADDRESS> [,fingerprint=<FINGERPRINT>] [,port=<PORT>]
           Remote target endpoint

--bwlimit <integer> (0 - N) (default = migrate limit from datacenter or storage config)
           Override I/O bandwidth limit (in KiB/s).

--delete <boolean> (default = 0)
           Delete the original VM and related data after successful migration. By default the original VM is kept on the source cluster in a stopped state.

--online <boolean>
           Use online/live migration if VM is running. Ignored if VM is stopped.

--target-bridge <string>
           Mapping from source to target bridges. Providing only a single bridge ID maps all source bridges to that bridge. Providing the special value 1 will map each source bridge to itself.

--target-storage <string>
           Mapping from source to target storages. Providing only a single storage ID maps all source storages to that storage. Providing the special value 1 will map each source storage to itself.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Hi @cshill , have tried the command below?

man qm
Code:
       qm remote-migrate <vmid> [<target-vmid>] <target-endpoint> --target-bridge <string> --target-storage <string> [OPTIONS]
       Migrate virtual machine to a remote cluster. Creates a new migration task. EXPERIMENTAL feature!

<vmid>: <integer> (100 - 999999999)

<target-vmid>: <integer> (100 - 999999999)

<target-endpoint>: apitoken=<PVEAPIToken=user@realm!token=SECRET> ,host=<ADDRESS> [,fingerprint=<FINGERPRINT>] [,port=<PORT>]
           Remote target endpoint

--bwlimit <integer> (0 - N) (default = migrate limit from datacenter or storage config)
           Override I/O bandwidth limit (in KiB/s).

--delete <boolean> (default = 0)
           Delete the original VM and related data after successful migration. By default the original VM is kept on the source cluster in a stopped state.

--online <boolean>
           Use online/live migration if VM is running. Ignored if VM is stopped.

--target-bridge <string>
           Mapping from source to target bridges. Providing only a single bridge ID maps all source bridges to that bridge. Providing the special value 1 will map each source bridge to itself.

--target-storage <string>
           Mapping from source to target storages. Providing only a single storage ID maps all source storages to that storage. Providing the special value 1 will map each source storage to itself.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Hi BB I will give that a shot today.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!