proxmox mail gateway as mail server?

No.

Well... "PMG per se" indeed cannot do it, but... the underlaying system is Debian, so of course you may install extra software on the same server to achieve this goal.

For example install dovevot imap/submission server + extra add extra postfix instance on private port to work as MDA + add some kind of user database (like ldap, or at least static passwd file). It's doable and should not be very hard (if you know what you do...). On the other hand - it seems reasonable to separate mail proxy (PMG) and the main server. Or at least containerize one of them. (Or both...)

Well... "PMG per se" indeed cannot do it, but... the underlaying system is Debian, so of course you may install extra software on the same server to achieve this goal.

For example install dovevot imap/submission server + extra add extra postfix instance on private port to work as MDA + add some kind of user database (like ldap, or at least static passwd file). It's doable and should not be very hard (if you know what you do...). On the other hand - it seems reasonable to separate mail proxy (PMG) and the main server. Or at least containerize one of them. (Or both...)
its more like on the small scale it doesn't make sense to separate things. For a small company i'd rather have 2 VPS with both combining mail server and PMG.

its more like on the small scale it doesn't make sense to separate things. For a small company i'd rather have 2 VPS with both combining mail server and PMG.
You don't need 2 "full" mail servers - one is enough (+2 pmg's). If you wish you might combine one pmg with mailserver, thus effectively you will have 2 vps.
When your main server goes down - the other proxy will hold mails until the server goes back.

By the way: separation IS important even on small scale. My scale is really small, so i know what I say. When you combine too much services in one container/computer - upgrades become hard or even impossible.

You don't need 2 "full" mail servers - one is enough (+2 pmg's). If you wish you might combine one pmg with mailserver, thus effectively you will have 2 vps.
When your main server goes down - the other proxy will hold mails until the server goes back.

By the way: separation IS important even on small scale. My scale is really small, so i know what I say. When you combine too much services in one container/computer - upgrades become hard or even impossible.
Thanks, no i don't combine everything. For instance what we use for our website is hard to containerise and on the small scale keeping it simple is hard to have multiple instances for, but mail is one of the things that can be easily replicated across multiple VPS thanks to DNS whereas a website not. I'm also thinking of combining with local as well, so there can be 2 mail servers in a good way, one in datacenter via provider and one in office which makes it cheaper to have more.

I'd prefer to have more than 1 of everything but since it isn't simple to have 2 instances of a website, cloudflare can help there as the website is static but mail is one of the things i prefer to not outsource as it is then easier to control how it works and space allocation/features arent' much of a worry not to mention not having a shared IP.

I'm finding proxmox virtualisation to be unstable at times but i hope the PMG is stable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!