Proxmox Mail Gateway as a Smarthost?

Jun 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

Has anyone successfully setup a Proxmox gateway as a Smarthost (Outgoing SMTP Gateway) for a number of servers to send email through?

For example, multi-domain shared servers send all mail out via Proxmox?

If so, please let me know what you found and what the challenges are.

that is a quite common setup, not a real "challenge" ...

OK great.

So some questions would be:
- How to "automate" PMG to accept all all emails from all domains/users on our various servers without going into PMG admin and adding every single domain every time?
- Prevent all other email not coming from our servers/IP's to send via the PMG Smarthost?

OK great.

So some questions would be:
- How to "automate" PMG to accept all all emails from all domains/users on our various servers without going into PMG admin and adding every single domain every time?

there is no domain check on the internal port. seem you send email traffic to the wrong port.?

just to add, you can use the API to automate settings if needed.

- Prevent all other email not coming from our servers/IP's to send via the PMG Smarthost?

please check "Configuration/Mail Proxy/Networks" - only IPs listed here can relay.

As I'm not using PMG as outgoing mail server (but there is a thread here to describe the how to as well as in the documentation), but I believe, it's allowed by the whitelisted networks to send mail through PMG. So if the servers are all in the same network as PMG, there should be no additional effort, you just need to set your servers to use PMG as outgoing smarthost. If the servers are in other networks, you need to add them to the allowed networks, that' it.

Sorry, one more thing.

I'm not finding the documentation or thread you mention.

The PMG as Outgoing Smarthost should accept emails from "Internal" servers but should still scan them for viruses and spam and rate limit to be sure that compromised accounts cannot just flood out spam/virus emails.

Wonderful, thanks.

So what about the emails leaving PMG to go out to the rest of the Internet ?
What is the recommended Transport setting if any?

If PMG is running in the internet (and not behind a dial up network), you shouldn't set any transport or smarthost rules for outgoing mails. For incoming mails for sure you need to configure them in your relay domains and define transport rules per domain (if required) or a common transport on the first tab. Follow the documentation therefor.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!