Proxmox load balance start of VM's on Nodes while in HA?

greavette

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hello Proxmox community,

I'm currently running the latest proxmox 4.1 on all my servers. This is my setup:
  • 4 Host Servers each with 48 GB of Ram running all my VM's.
  • 4 Servers running Ceph for storage of all VM's.
  • All 8 servers are clustered.
  • Total amount of Ram used by all VM's is around 54 GB so one host cannot handle all running VM's. When running my VM"s I would need to have VM's spread across at least 2 hosts to handle the load.
I'd like to see if I can use HA in this scenario solving for if one of my host servers goes down. Here is what I would like to have happen:

1. The ability to load balance the VM's that were on the failed host to be moved to the other 2 hosts somewhat equally.
  2. No VM's would be moved to my Ceph Servers...VM's will only run on my Host Servers.
Does Proxmox have this ability to give me satisfy these two requirements?

If Proxmox does not have that ability, could this community suggest some solutions that I could learn and/or build myself to attain this type of load balancing?

Thank you.

The ability to load balance the VM's that were on the failed host to be moved to the other 2 hosts somewhat equally.

The ha manager tries to distribute the VMs equally, but this is no real load-balancing.

No VM's would be moved to my Ceph Servers...VM's will only run on my Host Servers.

That works - simply define a HA group with all servers you want to run VMs on.

Thank you for the reply Dietmar.

Could you clarify something for me please. When you say that HA manager tries to distribute the VMs equally...does this mean by the number of running VM's. So if I have Host #1 that runs 10 VM's, will HA put 5 one Host #2 and 5 on Host #3? Or does it do it by some other factors (like Ram or CPU)?

I guess what I meant by load balancing was to see if VM's on from a failed host are not all moved to just one other host. Distribution of the VM's to remaining hosts is what I would like to have.

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!