Proxmox KVM Restores using Templates

ejc317

Oct 18, 2012
So I used a QCOW template to restore a KVM

1) Create VM
2) Replace the qcow file on the NFS storage
3) Done!

Now, if I store it on iSCSI, how would I restore a KVM image?

Otherwise is there another way to restore? I got the templates off of stacklet

THanks dietmar can you go into more details? If its just a raw image I can backup? b/c for the other one i didnt "backup" per se just copied an image

Oh sorry - vzdump/restore only works if you want to 'clone' an existing VM.

I'm confused

If i click on a vm under backup only .lzo or whatever files show up

.tar files do show up on the local storage but I can only restore them to a different VM #?

Alternatively, if we just install versions of ALL the O/S that we need - we can just clone it by backing it up and restoring to a new VM number right?

Guess not sure what is easier

I tried to replace one of the .tar's with a copy of the qemu.conf and a .raw file and when I tried to restore it it says config already exists ... (is this because when u restore, if the content is different, i can't restore to the same VM? I need to do a new one?)

I'm trying to do

1) Create VM with ID 100
2) back it up to an NFS store
3) replace backupon NFS store with .tar of raw img + the .conf
4) Restore to VM 100

should I just restore to VM101? if so that creates alot of random shell vms

But the restore only writes to an NFS store ... can't restore to iSCSI ... any ideas?

works here. provide details about your problems with iSCSI.

I mean restore using my method of renaming the file - it says config exists ... i am trying to restore a kvm template to a VM (we got it from stacklet and its in either raw or qcow format)

yes - but it didn't go anywhere

you mean use qemu-img convert of our .raw file to qcow?

Not to be dense but can you give me more instructions on how to convert a .qcowor raw image back into a VM - goal is to create a blank vm with no mounted media and put one of these images in

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!