Proxmox installation nvidiafb: unknown NV_ARCH

wshyf110

Nov 4, 2019
Hi,
Recently our lab has purchased a gigabyte server in which there are two RTX 6000 GPU mounted.

I was plan to install proxmox environment to create some vms for students, but some unknown error
happened when i was installing proxmox, the warning of this error is "nvidiafb: unknown NV_ARCH",
and the boot process went no further, i could only restart the server. I have attached the details about
the error warning here, i guess it is caused by GPU, but i really don't have any idea about that.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you very much.
errorwarning.jpg

I am having the same issue. Looks like a framebuffer issue in 5.4.73 kernel to me

Last edited:
@burn- Thanks for giving these hints. An older system was getting me in the same kind of trouble.
I could boot and complete the pve normal install option, but I wanted to use the debug mode option, in order to customize some things before rebooting after installing.
Nomodeset gave me same symptoms as https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/install-times-out-after-dhcp.68469/#post-307002

Perhaps it's the combination of monitor and older hardware (radeon internal video)

But after adding
Code:
nomodeset vga=normal
the debug mode was able to start Xserver and complete the installation process.

Last edited:
Reactions: burn-
@burn- Thanks for giving these hints. An older system was getting me in the same kind of trouble.
I could boot and complete the pve normal install option, but I wanted to use the debug mode option, in order to customize some things before rebooting after installing.
Nomodeset gave me same symptoms as https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/install-times-out-after-dhcp.68469/#post-307002

Perhaps it's the combination of monitor and older hardware (radeon internal video)

But after adding
Code:
nomodeset vga=normal
nomodeset vga=normal
the debug mode was able to start Xserver and complete the installation process.
forgive me for being a noob, but I'm having similar issues and don't see where one would edit the kernel boot options. :)

forgive me for being a noob, but I'm having similar issues and don't see where one would edit the kernel boot options. :)
on the initial selection screen, press 'e' then you can edit the boot options

Reactions: burn-

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!