Proxmox Install On NVMe Drives w/ UEFI

Jeffrey Roberts

Jan 11, 2019
Ok, I have read probably 30 posts now about Proxmox and NVMe + UEFI, so I do apologize for this post, it is absolutely a duplicate of the many, however, I don't seem to see a clear answer for my setup in any of those posts, and my head is spinning trying to figure this all out, so I figured, I would go ahead and post and hopefully someone can help me get my head on straight.

So, my mobo, ASRock Killer SLI/ac, does not seem to show the M.2 NVMe drives when booting in legacy mode, so that option is out the window, now when I boot in UEFI, Proxmox does see both the M.2 drives, and it even will allow me to attempt to install ZFS RAID 1 on those drives, but it fails, with something along the lines of "Unable to create zfs root pool", ok, so, I would really like to ZFS RAID 1 these M.2 NVMe drives, if that is possible, please for the love of god, point me in the right direction...

If that is not possible with Proxmox, is it possible to install debian with some kind of RAID 1 on the M.2 drives? I saw a couple posts that hinted at this, and now I can't find them, thats what got my head spinning, looking for those posts... ok, if that is possible, double please for the love of god, point me in the right direction...

If that is not possible, I have read that I can do a ZFS RAID 1 on some normal SSD drives, then later on, create a second pool with the NVMe drives, now, I was able to install the ZFS RAID 1 on the SSD drives I have, however, it would not boot, I have seen a post that hints at a solution, again, I was not able to find it a second time, if it is possible to boot the SSD drives in UEFI mode, triple please for the love of god, point me in the right direction...

If none of that is possible, please if you would, suggest a solution for my setup...

I have
  • 2x8TB HDDs
  • 2x1TB SSDs
  • 2x1TB NVMes
I bought them in pairs because I would like to RAID 1 each set of them, the NVMe disks for VMs, the SSDs for a database server, and the HDDs for storage for the VMs, RAID 1 on each set would be the most ideal solution for me, I am paranoid as hell about losing data, Ive lost data in the past, and it's completely crushed my soul. I bought this monster of a machine, thinking it would last me 10 years or so, I really really really would love to see RAID 1 on each set, thats like my top priority, but if I have to, I will concede, and go with the best proposed solution.

Thank you so much for reading my post, I look forward to reading your responses =]

- Jeffrey

So, my mobo, ASRock Killer SLI/ac, does not seem to show the M.2 NVMe drives when booting in legacy mode, so that option is out the window, now when I boot in UEFI, Proxmox does see both the M.2 drives, and it even will allow me to attempt to install ZFS RAID 1 on those drives, but it fails, with something along the lines of "Unable to create zfs root pool", ok, so, I would really like to ZFS RAID 1 these M.2 NVMe drives, if that is possible, please for the love of god, point me in the right direction...

currently not possible in the installer to setup ZFS on NVMe devices (some obscure grub issue).

I bought them in pairs because I would like to RAID 1 each set of them, the NVMe disks for VMs, the SSDs for a database server, and the HDDs for storage for the VMs, RAID 1 on each set would be the most ideal solution for me, I am paranoid as hell about losing data, Ive lost data in the past, and it's completely crushed my soul. I bought this monster of a machine, thinking it would last me 10 years or so, I really really really would love to see RAID 1 on each set, thats like my top priority, but if I have to, I will concede, and go with the best proposed solution.

Hmm, I'd setup the raid on the sata SSD or spinning HDD in the installer, you really won't notice to much if the host system itself uses a bit slower backing storage, most things (executables) are loaded once and then reside in memory anyway. After the installation you then could setup the two other RAIDs on the NVMe pair and the SSD/HDD pair you did not set it up in the installer. That should be the simplest thing to do and work just fine.

currently not possible in the installer to setup ZFS on NVMe devices (some obscure grub issue).
to be clear ... at the moment - if I had only one NVMe SSD (Samsung Evo 970) in my Intel NUC7i7BNH (Core i7) - it is not possible to install Proxmox in "zfs (Raid 0)" mode?
I have to chose ext4 or install an additional SATA (non NVMe) SSD into my Intel NUC?

Last edited:
Hello, I have the same problem. I also have a Samsung NVMe SSD (Evo 970) installed in my server (Dell R610) with a PCI card. The map is also displayed to me, I get the same error message when I select zaids Raid0 during installation.

If I now install Porxmox on a normal SSD on the Raid Controller and install the VM's on the NVME, that brings me the benefits?

Thank you, I'm still pretty new at Proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!