[SOLVED] Proxmox install (local) minimal install

CCWTech

Mar 3, 2020
I usually use the ISO to install Proxmox but it's very wasteful of drive space where it will automatically allocate about 100 GB to the local storage. Is there a way to tell Proxmox not to use that much space or do you have to install the OS First and then add Proxmox?

If you have to install the OS first and then Proxmox is there any tutorial on how to install Debian correctly to accomplish a minimal amount of space for Proxmox? I am not very versed in Linux partitioning so I am looking for a step by step, or even better a way to just install using the ISO but to limit the amount of (local) space used.

If you use the the ISO installer, when selecting the installation destination disk, there is an option button, klick on it, there you can limit the disk space ProxmoxVE will use. Set maxroot to the desired size e.g 32GB (for the OS), set the maxvz to 0, or adjust witch space should be left free with minfree. But keep in mind if you set maxvz = 0 you wont be able to install VM's or Container unless you have another storage avaiable e.g. NFS etc....

Reactions: CCWTech
If you use the the ISO installer, when selecting the installation destination disk, there is an option button, klick on it, there you can limit the disk space ProxmoxVE will use. Set maxroot to the desired size e.g 32GB (for the OS), set the maxvz to 0, or adjust witch space should be left free with minfree. But keep in mind if you set maxvz = 0 you wont be able to install VM's or Container unless you have another storage avaiable e.g. NFS etc....
Nice, thank you!!! I'll try it.

What is the smallest that I can safely use for Proxmox? I don't want to cut it too close.

Essentially I want the min for prox and the rest for local-lvm... (I imagine I want swap space)

If someone can give me hints as far as what to put in each box to accomplish that I would love the help.

Captura.JPG

Last edited:
Hm I don't know exactly your needs or your system specs (RAM, additional disks, VM's to be installed)... but on a fresh install the Proxmox OS takes about 3GB disk space. I've all ready some templates (around 1,5GB).

fresh.PNG

Keep in mind that you have to store your ISO's/ContainerTemplates for VM/Container installation somewhere. By default they are stored on the OS (root) partition. Of cause you can remove the installation ISO's after VM installation to free up space again... If you have a separate disk or a network share you don't need to store them in (root).

If you want to make backups / snapshots of your VM's / Containers and you have no other storage for backups available, then these will be stored in OS (root) partition as well. Of cause they are compressed but they all so will take up space...

In an ideal world we don't need a SWAP partition... however if your RAM gets filled up to 100% , it is good to have one to prevent things from crashing... When you are sure you won't fill up all your host RAM under any circumstances (RAM needed by Proxmox + RAM assinged to VM's + a little headroom) then you could set it to 0.

by default the Proxmox installer calculates all sizes based on the hard disk size.

So if you want to permanently remove your ISO Images after installation and don't make any backups to the OS (root) partition I think it is okay to set the OS (root) partition to around maybe 16/32 and leave the rest free. Then your root (OS) partition will be 16/32GB, 8GB for swap and the rest will be used for the local-lvm, this is where only your VM/Container disks images will be stored.

By the way there is a pretty good online documentation about that:
PVE Admin Guide
--> 2.3.1

Last edited:
Reactions: jeanray
I'm sorry but I am stumped.

In the normal default it gives about 100 GB to local I'm sure there is a swap file and then it allocates the majority to local-lvm.

I'm just trying to allocate less data to local and more to local-lvm.

Can someone please just tell me what I should put in each box. I'm just not getting this unfortunately.

Just put the desired size for your local storage in the maxroot box, leave everything else free, hit OK, continue the installation.
desired.PNG
Just keep in mind witch things are stored where, before making a decision how big or small the local storage should be, how you want to use them and how they will fill up over time...

local: ISO's / container templates / backups of VM's and containers
local.PNG

local-lvm: VM disks / CT disks, nothing else
local-lmv.PNG

I hope could help =)

Wow, thank you!!

I was trying to overthink things I guess. Thanks for your help, that solved my problem!

Reactions: Tux_1024

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!