Proxmox Install "breaks?" RAID1 install on Dell OptiPlex 9020. "Degraded" osmirror on fresh install.

jsalas424

Jul 5, 2020
I configured 2 SSDs in RAID1 on my hardware controller. After Proxmox install, the RAID volume shows up as "degraded" (Fig. 1) on the controller. The SMART values (Fig. 2) reflect that one drive is being used but not the other.

I had the RAID controller "repair" the degraded mirror, but that resulted in being unable to boot into Proxmox. No bootable partition could be found. So I reinstalled Proxmox from scratch after once more making a RAID1 volume, and got the same result, a "Degraded" RAID volume.

What am I doing wrong?

Dell OptiPlex 9020. 2 Samsung SSDs in RAID1 as per instructions here: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...raid-on-optiplex-intel-matrix-storage-manager

Fig. 1
signal-2021-07-07-164638.jpg

Fig 2.1625690202444.png
1625690306624.png
1625690318793.png

It looks like it is seeing the bare drives in Proxmox.

If you can disable RAID on the backend and just pass off the drives to the OS then you can do the install as ZFS Mirror (I don't remember the exact verbiage for it) and then you have ZFS file system and it handles the drive Mirror.

It doesn't work with backend RAID though since it handles it for you. ZFS is far better than HW RAID

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!