Proxmox-Host IPv6-only

May 31, 2015
Hello dear Proxmox-Team!

IPv4 is (or should be) obsolete and IPv4-addresses are expensive, so I'm always looking for possibilities to save IPv4-addresses of our company and our customers.
One thought was to disable IPv4 on the Proxmox Hosts. They are only accessed by our admins and they all have IPv6 :)

I just tried it and found a few things on the hosts that aren't IPv6-compatible yet:
  • Webserver listens only on IPv4 (shouldn't be that difficult to change?)
  • the update server (enterprise.proxmox.com) doesn't have a AAAA-record, so its not accessible with IPv6
  • the wiki tells us to use the IP-address of a node when adding it to a cluster. Shouldn't the hostname work too? I created my cluster with IPv4-addresses, so it didn't worked out when switching to IPv6-only.
Maybe there are more things I didn't think about, but it would be great if you can add this to your Roadmap to make Proxmox more future-ready!

Cheers,
Andi

Works here a long time ago perfectly (single Host no Cluster but should also work). I've changed to IPV6 only. Even the welcomemessage was changed automaticly to the IPV6 Address. Webinterface, Spice... works also fine with. LXC too. Have no problem with. Ok... the only one is that the Updateserver have no IPV6. So on update give a short time an ipv4 Address. Or use nat64 in your lan.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!