Proxmox High Availability Migrate Issue

joshua11

Sep 12, 2023
I have encountered an issue with Proxmox High Availability (HA). The problem occurred when one of our servers went down, causing the VM to move to another server where HA is implemented. Now, when we tried to migrate it back to the original host/server using Proxmox, it did not proceed successfully, and there are error messages appearing. Screenshot 2024-01-10 154331.png
The storage used by the VM, where it is originally hosted, is the local-lvm.

How did you implement HA with local-lvm storage? This normally only works with shared storage ( shared LVM, ZFS HA, CEPH, NFS / CIFS) and the error you see is expected in a local setup.

Maybe explain your two environments a little bit more and how you migrated the VM from the local storage to the unknown-to-us HA storage.

How did you implement HA with local-lvm storage? This normally only works with shared storage ( shared LVM, ZFS HA, CEPH, NFS / CIFS) and the error you see is expected in a local setup.
I just set it up in HA, even though the VM is using local-lvm. It works with HA, with no errors. I'm using Proxmox version 7.1-7.

Maybe explain your two environments a little bit more and how you migrated the VM from the local storage to the unknown-to-us HA storage.
My servers are in different server appliances, but they are clustered.

I just set it up in HA, even though the VM is using local-lvm. It works with HA, with no errors. I'm using Proxmox version 7.1-7.
How did you set it up? Your error message implies that it's not working "with no errors". That's why I ask. HA is much more complicated than "check HA" in the options.

How did you set it up? Your error message implies that it's not working "with no errors". That's why I ask. HA is much more complicated than "check HA" in the options.
The error in my screenshot is encountered when it migrates back to its original host.
Even if I manually migrate it or let it happen automatically via High Availability (HA), it doesn't succeed.
I've also tried removing the VM from High Availability (HA) and disabling it, but the error messages that appear are 'no storage ID' and 'no such storage.

Hi,
@LnxBil is absolutely right. You need shared or replicated storage to use HA: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-ha-manager.html#_requirements

IIRC the particular error was already fixed a while ago (won't help with the general issue that HA with local storage won't work), please upgrade to the latest 7.x version to get security updates and fixes:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories#_proxmox_ve_7_x_repositories
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#system_software_updates

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!