Proxmox hangs after BIOS Upgrade

paulmorabi

Mar 30, 2019
Hi,

In order to try to get better results with GPU pass through, I upgraded the BIOS on my MSI B450M Mortar. That started the nightmare.

Since then, I've been unable to boot into Proxmox. I'm running latest Proxmox 6.2 (non subscription). Initially, I tried rescue boot from the install iso. It hung in the same place, firstly on VFIO errors (see here). I then got an Ubuntu live cd and mounted the root partition and removed the vfio.conf in /etc/modules. Upon rebooting, Proxmox reached the point where it starts the PVE daemons/services and hangs.

It looks like networking is not working as the previous device enp24so is not being found and as a result the networking service fails to start. So then I edited /etc/network/interfaces again via Ubuntu live CD to only have the loopback interface. With this, networking starts, but it is still hanging in the same place. If I could get to a terminal, I could try to reconfigure networking but even via rescue mode, I can't get past the "Starting PVE" services area.

I'm also assuming its hanging because of networking not being present but I can't be sure. Is there any way to get past this or is it easier at this point to backup the VM's and configu files and do a fresh install?

@avw I restored the BIOS to the previous working version. Will try again when I am more prepared.
I disable svm, load into the PvE and find that the net interface changed from enp24s0 to enp34s0... I edited the /etc/network/interfaces and the network came back!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!