[SOLVED] Proxmox GUI not working on vlan

tellierflexus

Jun 6, 2022
Hello Everyone,
I've a pretty standard issue, according to google but all the previous solutions have not worked.
So here I am.
I try to access the proxmox GUI on an ip (172.16.0.100) which is the ip assigned to a bridge connected to a vlan (please find the etc network interfaces below) and it doesn't work, but I can access the server using ssh when I create a virtual interface tagged 200 on my Mac.

If someone has an idea ?

Thank you all :)

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno2
iface eno2 inet manual

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-slaves eno1 eno2
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode active-backup
        bond-primary eno1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr0.200
iface vmbr0.200 inet static
        address 172.16.0.100/12
        gateway 172.16.0.1

Hi,
but I can access the server using ssh when I create a virtual interface tagged 200 on my Mac.
since you are apparentelly able to reach and interact with the host via SSH, are you sure that you specified the correct port and also used https when accessing the GUI? The GUi should be available on https://172.16.0.100:8006.

But pinging the host and logging in via SSH work? Then it sounds like networking may not be your issue since you can clearly reach the host. Could you maybe provide the output of the following command: systemctl | grep pve?

Here it is ! (Thank you for helping me :) )

Code:
  etc-pve.mount                                                                                    loaded active     mounted   /etc/pve
  pve-cluster.service                                                                              loaded active     running   The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem
  pve-firewall.service                                                                             loaded active     running   Proxmox VE firewall
  pve-guests.service                                                                               loaded active     exited    PVE guests
  pve-ha-crm.service                                                                               loaded active     running   PVE Cluster HA Resource Manager Daemon
  pve-ha-lrm.service                                                                               loaded active     running   PVE Local HA Resource Manager Daemon
  pve-lxc-syscalld.service                                                                         loaded active     running   Proxmox VE LXC Syscall Daemon
  pvebanner.service                                                                                loaded active     exited    Proxmox VE Login Banner
  pvedaemon.service                                                                                loaded active     running   PVE API Daemon
  pvefw-logger.service                                                                             loaded active     running   Proxmox VE firewall logger
  pvenetcommit.service                                                                             loaded active     exited    Commit Proxmox VE network changes
  pveproxy.service                                                                                 loaded active     running   PVE API Proxy Server
  pvescheduler.service                                                                             loaded active     running   Proxmox VE scheduler
  pvestatd.service                                                                                 loaded active     running   PVE Status Daemon
  dev-pve-swap.swap                                                                                loaded active     active    /dev/pve/swap
  pve-storage.target                                                                               loaded active     active    PVE Storage Target
  pve-daily-update.timer                                                                           loaded active     waiting   Daily PVE download activities

Last edited:
address 172.16.0.100/12
While I know RFC1918 defines this as /12 and your specification is technically fine: are you sure that this is correct? Usually that range is split up into several /16 or /24 as nobody has a literal Million devices in one single subnet.

Just make sure your router and all other devices all have the same expectation. If they are different you will experience "strange" malfunctions...

Best regards

Reactions: sterzy
Hello !
Actually it's just a test so the network is composed of my computer and the server and they have therefore all the same expectations :)
(But I changed both for a /24 after posting, however)

It would help everyone to help you, if you could be detailed on how things are setup and what you are trying to achieve (and 'why' sometimes helps :))
for example,
  • what sort of equipment is the host running on,
  • what client/software are you using to connect,
  • what is the configuration of the host and client
  • how are they connected to one another (direct cabling or is there a switch or router involved)
  • are the host and client in the same room or they remote?
  • what tests have you done and what were the results
and so on

Hello everyone, problem solved !
It seems that the issue was on my Mac with the VLAN virtual interface.
I configured a switch to tag my packets (instead of my computer) and now it works
so if you google something and find this thread, please be carefull with this ^^

Well it seems that the issue was between the chair and the keyboard.. ;)

Thank you all :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!