Proxmox - Guest USB support?

hikari

Jan 31, 2011
Good day guys. I am trying to get USB key working on guest accounts.
Am I missing anything here.

Proxmox version 1.8
Version (package/version/build) pve-manager/1.8/5754
Kernel Version Linux 2.6.24-8-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 16 11:17:55 CEST 2009

I am trying with two diffrent guests
First is Win7Ultimate fully updated
secound is Fully updated ubuntu
Neiter of with mounts my USB stick (stick is fat32)

My Proxmox server mounts the stick fine and can read and write to it

Am I missing a proxmox option somewhere to enable USB passthrough.

Have you tried add the usb device like this:

in etc /etc/qemu-server/101.conf
add following line:
hostusb: 6547:0232

You can find the id when you type lsusb on host.

yha I tried that last night also hostusb: 6547:*

It seems to do the trick for my ubuntu guest but still will not work for Windows 7 guest

Do this: click on the VM you want to mount the USB device. Click on the monitor tab. Type in "info usbhost". It will list all of the usb devices connected to the physical host. Locate the device you want to grant pass-through. Next type in the command "usb_add host:203a:347e" (no spaces, or whatever the address is).

This should mount the usb device in the guest os.

If you want to permanently add the device to the guest os, just edit the vmid.conf file mentioned above.

Do this: click on the VM you want to mount the USB device. Click on the monitor tab. Type in "info usbhost". It will list all of the usb devices connected to the physical host. Locate the device you want to grant pass-through. Next type in the command "usb_add host:203a:347e" (no spaces, or whatever the address is).

This should mount the usb device in the guest os.

If you want to permanently add the device to the guest os, just edit the vmid.conf file mentioned above.

Hey buddy thanks for the reply. never realy used the monitor area much.

But still seems not to work
This is what i got the info usbhost did find the device fine (lacie)

qm> info usbhost
Device 1.3, speed 480 Mb/s 00: USB device 059f:1027, LaCie iamaKey
qm> usb_add host:059f:1027 qm>

As for adding it perminatly thats what i was trying before by editing the vmidi.config
Like i stated it worked fine for ubuntu but not for my win7 ans win2008 guests. I am stumped as to why...

Hay anyone had personal experience with it working on either of the two win7 or win2008?

I am concerned that you may have something within the guest os that may not allow usb devices. Were you able to attach any usb device to your windows guests?

Better yet, after you type in the commands to attach to windows, have you verified in device manager is recognizing the usb device? You can go back to the monitor tab, and type "info usb" and it will show you what devices are hooked up to the vm. There should be at least once pointing device, a tablet. If you see that your usb drive is hooked in. Then your OS may not recognize it.

I am concerned that you may have something within the guest os that may not allow usb devices. Were you able to attach any usb device to your windows guests?

Better yet, after you type in the commands to attach to windows, have you verified in device manager is recognizing the usb device? You can go back to the monitor tab, and type "info usb" and it will show you what devices are hooked up to the vm. There should be at least once pointing device, a tablet. If you see that your usb drive is hooked in. Then your OS may not recognize it.

Device manager doesn't show anything not even a warning anywhere
this is the output i get from monitor tab after info usb
qm> info usb Device 0.1, Port 1, Speed 12 Mb/s, Product QEMU USB Tablet Device 0.3, Port 2, Speed 12 Mb/s, Product QEMU USB Hub Device 0.3, Port 2.1, Speed 480 Mb/s, Product LaCie iamaKey qm>

It's listed there "LaCie"

Now keep in mind i was thinking it could be something in the guest as well but this is happening with both win7 and win server 2008.dont have any other win machine to test with like XP...

Well I'm stumped. It's plugged into the host. Its routed to the guest's vm. However, the OS isn't picking it up. It does sound like the culprit is the OS it self.

A quick search indicates that this device is supported on 32 and 64 bit platforms.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/co...pi=8&c=Storage Devices&sc=Flash/USB&os=64-bit

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the device is hidden, if you will. Can you right click on my computer, manage, then look at the disk management console. Perhaps the device isn't mounted.

Well I'm stumped. It's plugged into the host. Its routed to the guest's vm. However, the OS isn't picking it up. It does sound like the culprit is the OS it self.

A quick search indicates that this device is supported on 32 and 64 bit platforms.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/co...pi=8&c=Storage Devices&sc=Flash/USB&os=64-bit

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the device is hidden, if you will. Can you right click on my computer, manage, then look at the disk management console. Perhaps the device isn't mounted.

One of the first things were checking the disk management and nothing as well as the device manager dosnt show the drive either as well as no warning indictions

I just wounder if it's me or if anyone has gotten it to work

Thanks a lot everyone for the feedback. If there is any other idea's please let me know..

AFAIK, KVM only supports USB 1.0. So for most devices, you're out of luck...

That awnsers everything 1.0 support only for KVM.. I also updated kernel to .35 no luck either

Thanks everyone guess I missed that fact somewhere..

Had to do luck it up but the lacie key I am using is backwards compatible to 1.1 so guess its still a no go

Going to try and find a 1.0 key in my draw of junk and see if it works...

I may be mistaken, but I think QEMU USB support is 1.1. This is effectively the same in KVM and XEN HVM. Also, I was also under the assumption that a USB 2.0 device can run backwards compatible on 1.1 system? Wouldn't that be part of the 2.0 spec?

I may be mistaken, but I think QEMU USB support is 1.1. This is effectively the same in KVM and XEN HVM. Also, I was also under the assumption that a USB 2.0 device can run backwards compatible on 1.1 system? Wouldn't that be part of the 2.0 spec?

Yha that was my thinking but all out of idea's on why this does not work.
Also the specs on the lacie usb says backwards compatible to 1.1 was suppressed my self.

USB Key http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10531
Interface : USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 1.1) Windows ReadyBoost compatible

"USB 2.0 not only offers universal compatibility and cross-platform convenience, it features a hot-pluggable connection and high-speed transfer rates, and is Windows® ReadyBoost® compatible. It even works with USB 3.0 and USB 1.1 so you can use it on any computer."

I also have a problem with usb. On one off my W2K8 VMs i need a hardlock dongle.
When i conntect the dongle with usb_add host:0529:0001 (in QM Monitor), it works fine. But i don´t get it working automatically after rebooting the VM.

I added hostusb: 0529:0001 to my .conf. After rebooting, the app does not see its dongle. But in QM Monitor the dongle is connected, i can see it with info usb:confused:! After removeing it with usb_del and reconnect with usb_add everything is fine again. But i can´t leave it like this, the dongle has to work after reboot automatically.

The same problem. No USB pass through after reboot though it is shown in qm monitor. Guest is Windows 2008. Any ideas?

From my findings it is a problem w KVM and Win7/Win 2008. Maybe tough timing in the drivers or such. I found a lot of USB devices not working in Win7/Win2008 but they did work propperly in Win XP. As far as i know there is no fix.

Regards, Holger

Hi all!
i now encountered the problem as well...
Anyone has any idea what we could do?
this is a real show stopper, as the software installed on the win7-vm doesn't work at all without the usb dongle...
regards, Sascha

The next version of kvm (0.15) has many usb improvements - maybe you need to wait for that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!