Proxmox GPU Passthrough crashes VMs

ajb3932

Mar 20, 2023
Hi All,

Firstly, I'm sorry it has had to come to this, I have spent days trying to fix this myself following every guide possible.
I just need a sanity check over my config files incase I am missing something obvious.

I think that I have IOMMU enabled correctly but when I pass it through to my Windows 11 VM is bluescreens after 2 minutes.

Specs:
HP Z640
Intel E5-2660
Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

BIOS Settings:
Intel VT-d enabled.
ACS enabled

Code:
root@pve:/# nano /etc/modprobe.d/passthrough.conf

blacklist nvidia
blacklist radeon
blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidiafb

options kvm ignore_msrs=1
options vfio_iommu_type1 allow_unsafe_interrupts=1
options kvm-intel nested=N
options vfio-pci ids=10de:1b06,10de:10ef disable_vga=1

Code:
root@pve:/# nano /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off"

Code:
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/*/devices/*

IOMMU group 89 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] [10de:1b06] (rev a1)
        Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau
IOMMU group 89 02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:10ef] (rev a1)

Code:
root@pve:/# cat /etc/modules

vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

I find it strange that the kernel modules have been loaded despite me blacklisting the drivers. (Am I barking up the wrong tree?)

I have done update-grub and update-initramfs -u -k all after changing things.

Any help would be appreciated,

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, my cmdline looks like this now:
Code:
root@pve:~# cat /proc/cmdline

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.102-1-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init

It now doesnt crash with the PCI device attached.

1679325501309.png

But the GPU doesnt show up at all in my VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!