[SOLVED] Proxmox freezes randomly

I'd ask to replace this server.
This is likely a hardware defect.

If that would be an requirement no-one would use virtualization. It is a good recommendation to provide "near-physical" performance, but absolute unrealistic. The biggest VM should be less of the available physical cores. But I would even go CoreCount-2 (so 2 vCPU in this case here). but the total of vCPUs can be way higher. Your performance might suffer, but it will not crash the Host-OS.
Hi tburger,

The datacenter has started an investigation on mine server i will keep you guy's posted about the results.

Regards,
Gamerh

The biggest VM should be less of the available physical cores

Hi,

Overcommitting virtualized CPUs

"The KVM hypervisor supports overcommitting virtualized CPUs. Virtualized CPUs can be overcommitted as far as load limits of virtualized guests allow. Use caution when overcommitting VCPUs as loads near 100% may cause dropped requests or unusable response times."

And I am very sure that are other un-predictable side effects. One example that I remember who was happend to me last year:

I setup on a VM on the guest queues=2. Then after some time I move the VM on other node, and it could not start! After some research
I find that on that node I have overcommitting the CPUs. After I solve the overcommitting, the VM was able to start.

Good luck / Bafta !

Hi,

Overcommitting virtualized CPUs

"The KVM hypervisor supports overcommitting virtualized CPUs. Virtualized CPUs can be overcommitted as far as load limits of virtualized guests allow. Use caution when overcommitting VCPUs as loads near 100% may cause dropped requests or unusable response times."

And I am very sure that are other un-predictable side effects. One example that I remember who was happend to me last year:

I setup on a VM on the guest queues=2. Then after some time I move the VM on other node, and it could not start! After some research
I find that on that node I have overcommitting the CPUs. After I solve the overcommitting, the VM was able to start.

Good luck / Bafta !
Hi guletz,

I have checked and the VM are whitin the limit of the psyical cores of the server so i don't think it that.

Regards,
Gamerh

Hi tburger,

The datacenter has started an investigation on mine server i will keep you guy's posted about the results.

Regards,
Gamerh
According to the datacenter the server is just fine. So i have no idea of what to do next here

There is no hardware issue.

This issue is or whit the VM or whit Proxmox.

Can anybody help me?

Hi,

I manged to fix this issue by doing the following

On the VM that caused the issue:
On advanced by CPU changing CPU limit to 1 en enable NUMA changed CPU type to host.

Disabling balloon on the RAM.

I think that the VM was using more resources then i allocated because of this weird that Proxmox freezes instead of pausing the VM.

Regards,
Gamerh

Hi,

I manged to fix this issue by doing the following

On the VM that caused the issue:
On advanced by CPU changing CPU limit to 1 en enable NUMA changed CPU type to host.

Disabling balloon on the RAM.

I think that the VM was using more resources then i allocated because of this weird that Proxmox freezes instead of pausing the VM.

Regards,
Gamerh
Been having the exact same symptoms as you, been scratching my head for weeks trying to sus it so I'm trying your solution. Fingers crossed it works!

Thanks for updating the thread!

Greets and Happy belated New Year! I just started having problems with a 4 node cluster running different machines - NEVER had console or terminal issue until just recently (only added a new switch to the network) - now when I open a console from the Proxmox GUI - or start a console with VNC or Spice - no matte whether it's a VM console or not - the console freezes up after an undetermined amount of time - just stops working.

There doesn't seem to be and errors or logs showing something wrong!! Oddly enough, my setp was working fine for over a year without issue, but now it's become unreliable ?!?!? Any hints welcome!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!