Proxmox for PowerPC

matt.

Renowned Member
May 4, 2011
Is a Proxmox release planned for the PowerPC platform? We already migrated almost all of our servers from x86 to ppc and while we might not represent the whole hosting industry this would be of importance for us.

Last edited:
hi,

afaik, there's no significant work being done in that direction atm.

Is this also valid for computing nodes? And if so, would it be hard to port the required software for computing nodes to ppc?

Is this also valid for computing nodes? And if so, would it be hard to port the required software for computing nodes to ppc?

yes, there is not much work done in this direction.

hi,

afaik, there's no significant work being done in that direction atm.

I have a number of clients wanting to migrate away from x64 to OpenPower9 who would dearly love to continue using ProxMox.

As Debian 10 apparently runs on PowerPC and ProxMox 6.0 is based upon Debian 10 as well, how challenging would it be to offer ProxMox 6 on another Debian-supported architecture?

Would ProxMox be interested in offering (or soliciting) a bounty to bring ProxMox 6 to OpenPower?

Reactions: shantanu
Arm got a lot of traction and there is work being done on integrating it. Personally, I just saw ppc in projects, that migrated everything to x86-64, because it is much, much cheaper in operation.

Arm got a lot of traction and there is work being done on integrating it. Personally, I just saw ppc in projects, that migrated everything to x86-64, because it is much, much cheaper in operation.
Yeah makes sense, Arm is really superior in the long run, but thanks for your reply!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!