Proxmox for Nvidia A100 GPU

Sandbo

Jul 4, 2019
Hi,

Our lab is installing a new system with EPYC CPUs and one Nvidia A100 GPU.
I have experience with Proxmox over consumer grade hardware over the last couple years, but I have never tried so on a more enterprise setting.
It would be great if you can help me with some questions I have:

1. Is there anything special I must do for Proxmox to work on such system?
I am naively thinking it will install and work like on a consumer-grade hardware workstation which I used to work on.
I am a bit concerned if there will be any significant performance hit if I run the A100 GPU through a VM, due to maybe a lack of Resizable BAR support or other features.

2. For Nvidia GPU licensing, do I need a license, if I only plan on passing it to one VM at a time?
I have read that I need additional license if I want to use it as vGPU with SR-IOV.
Do I still need any license if I just want to do a pci-passthrough? From their PDF it appears I need one.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!