Proxmox Fileserver - samba regular crash

Sep 20, 2020
Dear colleague,

i am evaluating Proxmox solution before to purchase of the licence but I am in troubles.
I would like to use Proxmox and CT Turnkey FileServer for main storage and other CT of course.
I have made two tests but both tests with same results.
Actual setup is on DELL PowerEdge T110II with ECC ram
Installed:
Proxmox 6.2-4
Samba 4.9.5 on Turnkey File Fileserver 16.0-1 installed
Other CT TurnKey LAMP, owncloud, ...
it was not updated to actual version. I hade it on actual version in first test with same result.

Everything works perfect but it works only about 35 or later (it is not exact interval) minutes. Then the Samba in CT goes to segmentation fault see attached file.
The problem is not present in system from very beginning of the use but I am not able identify the problem moment.
I use the Samba storage not only from Win client on networks but also from other installed CT on this Proxmox server (if they can mount samba as for example external storage in Owncloud) and it also mapped as Storage to Proxmox server itself for CT like LAMP with installed Plex (mount form Plex itself is not supported).

Samba restart make it run again for similar time. But it is not solution.

There are information in attached file:
1. versions
2. part of samba.log file
3. typical samba status when it still works
4. part of samba configuration

I will be very grateful for advices because Proxmox solution is what I need but it has to be reliable for my application.

Thanks
Martin

Attachments

• prox-2 problem.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 2
Did you remove the "Unpriviledged Container" checkbox while creating the container?
Did you enable the "CIFS" feature in the containers Options panel -> Features dialog?

Hi,

no, it is "Unpriviledged Container" but it should not influence programs inside container.
no, I do not see any "CIFS" feature in the container's Options panel

Moreover I see same problem if I run VM OpenMediaVault in Proxmox, It was my 2nd attempt to storage solution.
They both have Samba version 4.9.5 . VM OpenMediaVault runs a bit longer time before crash.
Perhaps it is Samba problem. I will try to ask also there.

I am just curious if someone is here with actual proxmox + turnkey fileserver (Samba 4.9.5) with appr. 5 or more users with about 12 shares a daily trafic about 10 GB with uptime above 10 day? May old dlink nas-320 was always with uptiome above 100 day without problem (but 40 MB/s only with no application services). It is the level of the reliability I am looking for.

Thanks for advices.

Hi,

I see CIFS support in option. it is for privileg CT only.
Can you provide link to documention of the feature?

I will test it in test system on privileg CT.

Best Regrard
Martin

no, it is "Unpriviledged Container" but it should not influence programs inside container.
Turnkey containers should be always run as privileged containers because the images contain device nodes (/dev/xxxx) which are only working for privileged containers.

Hi,

thanks, but since Turnkey version 16.0 it can run as unprivileg see https://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/v16.0-1
Previous version required privileg.
I do not think it is the source of problem because it is in principle runnig but it is not fully reliable.

I have same problem in VM OpenMediaVault above same data in storage. It is also not reliable. It have identical Samba version 4.9.5
Perhaps it is samba itself problem.
or samba and my data together make the problem.

Thanks.
M.

Hi,

for some reason VM OpenMediaVault runs already more than 24 hour without crash.
I have disables in Samba option WINS and I reduced length of /etc/hostname and removed dots from the name.
I have found on internet it could be problem.
Perhaps, it would solve also the problem in TurnKey FileServer CT.
I hope it can help to someone.
I will report progress if any.

Reactions: aaron
Hi,

new observation.
The crash of Samba 4.9.5 in OpenMediaVault and also in TurnKey Fileserver is caused by access to many files (over 30000).
It crash if I access the files for synchronize (over OwnCloud) or just copy them to desctop or viceversa.
If there is not such massive access to files than Samba can run for week or later. I can write and read for exampe 10/10 GB in a few files without the crash.

It is same in both Debian based instances one in CT and the seciond in VM. I am sure it is Samba bug.

Hi,
I think you are right.
But this obsolete version of samba is the standart part included in actual Debien Buster and all projects based on this actual version.
It is not easy to upgrade something in the distribution from source. If you do so you will lost a part of security updates. And I think you can start almost your own distribution.
It is not way I would like to go.
The major distributions should use more update software version than they do now.

Hi,

I have already report. It works, I hope. I was able to download about 50000 files without crash from the updated system.

So, I was able to install Samba4.13 to OpenMediaVault version 5.5.12-1 without lost of OMV functionalities.
OpenMediaVault is Debian based system.
I used unofficial Samba packages from https://apt.van-belle.nl/ . Fantastic work, thanks.
I used following steps:

apt-get install gnupg2
wget -O - http://apt.van-belle.nl/louis-van-belle.gpg-key.asc | apt-key add -
echo "# AptVanBelle repo for samba." | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list
echo "deb http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian buster-samba413 main contrib non-free" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get --with-new-pkgs upgrade
apt-get install samba

than reboot your system.
I hope it is solved. Samba version 4.9.5 is broken for sure.

Martin

Hi,

there is new problem with the upgraded samba.
Samba 4.13 leave some smbd run forever. It takes 100% cpu. Such think was alreeady reported on some older Samba versions without solution.
But Samba is running and server is accessible. I made a script to kill those defect smbd.
Althought there is a problem with owncloud to access some files. The files with smbd defect. The checksum problems is sometime id owncloud. If I copy the files it is ok. I have about 100 000 files.
So, it is not fully solved yet.

Martin

Hi,

thanks for advices.
I have already found a functional solution. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with stock Samba version 4.11.6-Ubuntu is fully functional, I have not observed any crash on look smbd.

Martin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!