Hi All,

Hardware
Tyan S7012
(2) Xeon X5660
48GB ECC Ram
Onboard LSI 1068E, RAID Disabled in BIOS
(2) 400GB SATA Hard Drives (Root)
(2) 1TB SATA Hard Drives (Storage)

I tried to install Proxmox 5.0 from USB. Selected ZFS RAID 1 for the (2) 400GB drives and do not use on the remaining drives. During the create partition section the progress bar makes it to between 34% - 50% and then the computer reboots and the system boots from the install media again. Very repeatable, happens every time.

I thought it might be an issue with version 5.0 so I tried again with version 4.4. Only to have the same result. I tried to install again on both the 5.0 and 4.4 install again with the other pair of drives just to rule out problems with the 400GB drives as they are older, with the same results.

Finally, I tried 4.4 with a single 400gb EXT4 root and Proxmox did install. I am just trying to sort out why it won't allow a zfs root. I use FreeNAS for my main storage and would like to use zfs for the Proxmox root & storage on this machine.

Is this an issue with the controller (onboard LSI 1068E)? or the driver for the contoller? or something else?

I had seen where someone else had this same motherboard and was running Proxmox on Debian Stretch and used an LSI 9211-8i add-on card instead of the onboard. Would prefer not to have to do Debian Stretch (more because of the procedure to zfs mirror the root).

Any help is appreciated.

[EDIT] Tried again to install Proxmox 5.0, but RAID 0, on one 400GB drive. Installation completed, but when the sytem rebooted it stopped at a blinking cursor. I went ahead and removed all SATA cable except for the drive with the OS and the system rebooted into Proxmox.

Then tried to install Proxmox 5.0, RAID 1, with a different 400GB 2nd drive, system rebooted at create partition again.

Then I shifted second HD from SATA1 to SATA2 (1st HD still on SATA0). Tried the install again with same reboot at create partition step.

Then I shifed 1st HD to SATA1. Tried RAID 0 install again, install completed and rebooted into Proxmox. GOOD

So it would appear that I have some issue with the SATA0 port on this board.

[SOLVED]

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!