Proxmox fails to boot due to disc errors

tobywhiting10

Jan 15, 2022
UK
tobywhiting10.com
After recently rebooting my server Apollo power on again it fails to boot and enters emergency mode

my disc configuration is:
2 SSDs in a zfs pool to make the boot drive.
there is also a 3 terabyte hard disc for additional storage

IMG_20230405_132311.jpg

happy to give additional information but I don't have SSH access so I can't copy and paste it here

the ACPI errors that are also visible are common on every boot and not the reason for the issue (I think) same goes for the failure to import a zfs pool. I believe that is an old storage pool that no longer exists and I do not think is relevant to the issue here.

Any pointers for the right direction would be much appreciated.

this seems very similar to this post here however because it's a different drive path I do not want to remove it as I'm unsure if that is safe to do
looking through the journal shows nothing to my eyes however there is a lot there.

thanks

Hi,
does the issue also appear when you try booting with an older kernel?

What do
Code:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-label
systemctl status mnt-data.mount
cat /etc/fstab
show?

Did the label change or the disk is not available for some other reason (best to check /var/log/syslog for messages during boot)? In the former case you should fix the mount unit or fstab to use the correct disk, in the latter case you need to do further investigation, but can (temporarily) disable the mount if you want to get the system booting normally (well normally, but without the mount).

hi,

ls -l /dev/disk/by-label Showed that the error was caused by an old disc label which is no longer being used.
This makes sense as I recently changed some disc configurations.

Knowing that the disc was no longer being used I commented out its entry in cat /etc/fstab
Which fixed my problem and everything booted correctly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!