Proxmox Failed all of a sudden mentioning that CPU was blocked for more than 25s...

henriii

May 18, 2022
Hi there,

I'm a beginner in Proxmox.

Actually, everything was working perfectly fine until I installed 2 additional hard disks in my server.

All of a sudden, I had an error mentioning that CPU was blocked for more then 25sec... I restarted and the server and now it's telling me that I'm in Emergency Mode...

I have 2 options:
- Give root password for maintenance
- press Control-D to continue

Control-D:
When I'm pressing control-D to continue it's saying: Reloading system manager configuration, starting default target. Then it starts asking the password for maintenance or press control-d... again and again...

Root Password
Is is the same password as the one I'm using to connect to the GUI? If that's the case, since I have a very long password with special characters, I need to see what I'm typing which is not the case by default... How can I check that?

What if I remove the 2 new additional hard disks ? Should it start normally ? Or I will still be in emergency mode ?

Honestly, I'm a bit stuck and don't know what to do to solve this... :-(

Thanks in advance for your precious help,

the root password is the password that you have define at installation. (and yes, it's the same password for the gui with the root login)

and no, it's not possible to display it. (So maybe, try to type it on another compute, remember the keys.... and don't use too complex password next time ;)

do you see any error message with the reason why it's going in emergency mode ?

When you said:" I installed 2 additional hard disks". Do you have only plugged them ? or do you have formated them, create an lvm/zfs, create some mount point,.... ?

Thank you for your answer spirit!

the root password: ok, that's a good point :)
to display it: damned, it's gonna be very hard then :-(

the error message is about sda which is one of the new one I installed. Do you need the exact message?

about the 2 hard disks: I plugged them, formatted them, and created lvm. I created an ubuntu server lvm using it.

thus one of my question was: if I unplug them, would the server start normally? or will it continue forcing me to type the password etc?
what I would like to do is to avoid having to type that crazy password (damned)

Hi, I succeeded to login... I used https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Root_Password_Reset to reset the password to something easy.
Now, I can login to the proxmox machine.

Here are the errors I'm getting. It seems to be related to the ZFS pool mounting...?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-05-19 à 08.11.47.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-05-19 à 08.11.47.png
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Capture d’écran 2022-05-19 à 08.13.09.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-05-19 à 08.13.09.png
    916.9 KB · Views: 10

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!