Proxmox-Enhanced-Configuration-Utility (PECU) - Optimize Your Proxmox Setup!

Danilop95

Jun 22, 2023
Hello everyone,

I'm excited to introduce a new tool I've developed: Proxmox-Enhanced-Configuration-Utility (PECU). This Bash script is designed to simplify the configuration and management of Proxmox VE environments. It offers an interactive menu for essential tasks, including:

Key Features:

• Dependency Management: Easily install and manage package repositories.
  • GPU Passthrough Configuration: Automatically set up GPU passthrough to dedicate graphics cards to virtual machines, optimizing performance for high-demand tasks.
  • System Configuration Checks: Verify and optimize Proxmox package repositories and hardware settings.
The script is compatible with Proxmox VE 6.x, 7.x, and 8.x.

For detailed instructions and to download the script, visit the GitHub repository:

➡️ Proxmox-Enhanced-Configuration-Utility on GitHub

I hope you find this tool useful, and I'm looking forward to your feedback and suggestions!

Thank you!

I looked through your code and you may want to look at using more functions for your programming. A lot of repetition in your code. Especially referencing the colors all the time. Write a function blue that colorized the arguments or even an here block.

Why do you rely on sudo? It has a reason why there is no sudo integrated in the PVE, root has only access to everything and via sudo you will not (e.g. bash completion for example).

Hardcoding your editor? Please use the debian alternative command editor for that.

Hardcoding general repositories? Optimizing means using non-subscription repo? No way ...

Thank you for your valuable feedback, LnxBil. I appreciate your detailed review and suggestions for improving the script. Here’s what I’m considering based on your points:

Using More Functions: You’re right about the repetition, especially with the color references. I plan to refactor the script to use functions for setting colors, which will make the code cleaner and more maintainable.

Avoiding Sudo: I understand your concern regarding the use of sudo in a Proxmox VE environment. I initially included sudo to ensure the script could run commands with elevated privileges where necessary. However, I realize now that this isn’t optimal for Proxmox VE, where direct root access is more appropriate. I’ll look into revising this aspect to align better with Proxmox’s conventions.

Hardcoding the Editor: You’re absolutely correct. I’ll update the script to use the Debian alternatives system to determine the default editor instead of hardcoding Nano. This change will make the script more flexible and user-friendly.

Repository Configuration: I see your point about the hardcoded repositories. I’ll revise this section to provide more options for users, especially regarding the choice of non-subscription repositories, and ensure that the default configurations are suitable for various environments without overriding user preferences unnecessarily.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!